Something To Think About

Discussion in 'Beagle Health' started by salzer mtn, Mar 25, 2010.

1. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Active Member

Some one told me when i was a kid that reg. dogs were harder to raise than grade dogs. I remember also when i was a kid that most everyone owned some kind of mixed breed dog or a old hound or two to hunt game with. People let them run loose as yard dogs for the most part. On occasions a female would come up pregnant and when she had pups it was usually under the floor. The pups were left alone and the mother was feed when she came out from under the house and came to the back door. Their were no 7 way or 5 way or 8 way shot's back then in my area at least and if a dog got wormed it was by a home remidy of some kind. Well when the pups were old enough and moving around good the mother would bring them out and i don't think i can recall any shy ones in the bunch and if their had been a weak one in the litter nature would have taken care of that too. Now breeders do every thing in their power to save the weak pups even though from some inner instict the mother keeps kicking it out of the bed. We start giving shots at a early age and i've seen adds where a seller has pups forsale at six weeks old and all shot's given. Makes you wonder how things of the wild like yote pups ever survive. I think down through the years man have made animals like dogs weaker by their over care for them and now we have no choice in the matter but to continue what were doing to get them to survive.

2. MackC

MackC Moderator

I believe you are right Gary Ray. You know what else, we done the same thing with people too.

3. RKW

RKW Active Member

When I was a kid, to raise pups seemed almost effortless. Then by the time I was in my early 20's you could hardley get them to live long enough to give them their Parvo shots. I remember guys that I hunted with had never heard of Parvo and were losing dogs right and left. They would be fat and healthy one day then shrivel up and die in a few more days. One older hunting friend tried all kinds of remedies like raw eggs then a regime of tetracycline for an extended period of time. He saved some but lost most of them. I guess it got into his pens and it nearly wiped him out.

What caused this change is a mystery unless it was here all of the time and finally reached a much more noticable level of intensity. It could have been as simple as one infected animal that was bred and those pups sold or transfered to other owners infecting that kennel and so on. I understand that spores live in the ground and can be sustained for years if not disinfected. During that period of time is when I went to concrete pens so I could keep them cleaner and disinfected as much as possible.

Roger

4. rosco

rosco New Member

Mack,
    You hit the nail on the head. When I was a kid Mom locked the screen door in the summer. We stayed outside all day. Everyonce in a while Mom would throw us a glass of Kool-Aid. The rest of the time we used the water hose.

Sometimes we had to get under the water hose before we could come in and get a shower. We were " To dirty to get in my shower "

We never got sick and didn't know what an allergy was.

Try that today and you will get locked up.
    :headscratch:

5. dbounds

dbounds Active Member

I think over the years we have weakened the bloodlines by helping those survive that should have died. These weaker animals then reproduced and this evolved into an overall weaker strain of animal. If you let nature take it's coarse the creator usually has it covered!

6. Addi

Addi Well-Known Member

I've got a grandson that is about 18 months old and a DR has never seen hme. He was born at home. They planned to have a mid wife for the delivery. She was out of contact so my son caught the boy as he was birthed. He hasn't been sick so far.

Back to the subject. I'm always confused when I see the list of things now that have to be done to raise a litter of pups. Feed the bitch puppy chow, feed her a supliment, fix a pig rail, start giving the pups vaccinations as soon as they squeal.
    I don't do any of those things and I'd bet my puppy success rate is as high as any. I keep them warm for three days, if they are born during cold weather, I worm them at two weeks and two week intervals until. there is no sign of round worms, and I give them 1 five way shot at ten-twelve weeks of age. Then I give them a rabies shot at about four-five months and they are done.
    So far I've not lost a pup in about ten years.