Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a great day chasing rabbits. It started out with my little red digging one out of a brush pile. That resulted in a two chase. I could have shot but watching was fun. My bluetick about caught it at one point and that was the final straw before the rabbit buried itself deep in a bulldozed pile. I called the hounds off and we kept looking.
The little red put up three more before the day ended.
The snow and ice gave them trouble. It started out at 6 degrees and when we finished it was 38 with ice and snow just falling off trees.
All in all it was a good time watching the rabbits try and lose the hounds. It’s good training.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
DugK- now that is what I am talking about, being able to run at 6 degrees and end the day at 38 degrees. Its a good test for dogs. Ice and snow falling into the tracks and being able to jump and have the dogs run good.
Your dogs are good looking, thanks for the pictures. JMO

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I like to take pictures of my hounds in action. I would rather shoot a photo than a rabbit, usually.
I think this photo was interesting, I missed the rabbit coming out of the brush pile but caught the hounds coming out. I could hardly hear them when they started opening up on the rabbit in the bottom of the pile. I have no idea how they worked themselves into that pile.
The little red, Stella, has learned that is where rabbits hide.
She is a year and half old.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yesterday after work I took the hounds to a neighboring farm. I have always want med run my hounds there but he had donkeys and I wanted no part of them. The farmer lets me shoot groundhogs and I always see rabbits.
He got rid of the donkeys so off we went.
Yesterday was a tough day for the hounds, it had rain and warmed up which made everything a muddy mess and there was strong winds. The remaining snow had a layer of ice on top that the rabbits could run on top of without breaking through.
They ran three. My little red dug one out of a brush pile, the other out from under some old farm equipment and the third they picked up returning from the second.
I will say they struggled, they would loose the track, pick it up and loose it. Usually I don’t get to follow them and watch them work but yesterday I could. I had a time getting the red out of an embankment, she was trying to dig her way down the hole.
This has been great practice for them and hopefully this snow will be gone by the weekend. We have plans to hunt a couple farms that are notorious for long runners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts