Rabbit Dogs banner

Snoozer

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Kmefford23 
#1 ·
I thought it might be fun to talk about when and how we got our start with Rabbit Hunting.

I was raised around run to catch dogs and field to table hunters. I was allowed to go on the Rabbit hunts when I was 7, primarily to pack a rabbit or two, kick some bushes as well as throwing rocks in some. BUT, the highlight of the trips was that I was allowed to shoot any "Snoozers" that were found. I know there are some beaglers on here that are just getting started so I will explain what a snoozer is, a snoozer is a Rabbit that has been found sitting in his bed and has not been jumped yet. My Dad, Brother, and Uncles were strictly meat hunters. Finding snoozers were the ultimate table fair due to taking only their nose off and not shooting the meat up.

After probably 5 minutes of trying to show me where the snoozer was sitting, my Dad would always say, "aim 1 inch in front of their nose".

Lol, well I guess at 7 years old I did not understand what 1 inch looked like because half the time I would completely miss and the other half I would blow it in half. Either way, my Dad and Brother would not be happy campers. Lol I would always feel bad until the dogs circled it and someone killed it.

At age 10, I got my first gun for Christmas, it was a Remington 410, 1100. I have now owned that gun for 36 years, I took it on a hunt this year a was able to knock a couple down.

Please feel free to hijack this thread and share your story.

See less See more
#3 ·
Man that is a sweet gun CCK!

I started rabbit hunting with a Winchester single shot 22. I would walk the cedar thicket behind the house and try to find some snoozers sitting under the trees. Dad told me not to look for the rabbit itself but for its ears and dark shiny eye as that is what stands the most. First one I ever killed took 3 shots, I swear it was one of the worse cases of buck fever I've ever felt lol.

#5 ·
I don’t really remember what age i got into it but i do remember it was the first animal i harvested. I’ve been pretty lucky as my dad had me in the woods from the time i could walk , i honestly can’t think him enough for it either the amount of experiences and knowledge I’ve learned just from being in the woods is amazing and i wouldn’t trade it for the world. My dad and his dad always had A rabbit dog or two around and he kept that going with me. I broke out one of our old photo books to see if i could find A picture of my first beagle and found A few older ones of my dad and he’s dogs i hope y’all don’t mind me sharing

#6 ·
I didnt start rabbit hunting seriously (if you want to call it that lol) till couple yrs back, My dad got out of deer hunting and him and grandad rabbit hunted all the time, I would get with them a couple times a year to rabbit hunt. A couple years ago my grandad passed away he sold out a couple months before he passed , well after a bit dad kept on me about starting a pack, with me living in the country and have room , well that went on for about a year , I knew dad really missed running beagles so decided to jump in and get 3, 2 male and a female well, I ended up getting freakin hooked on it lol , believe I enjoy it more so than pop!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.