Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was running hounds yesterday morning and got hit by a cottonmouth. I was wearing my snake boots so it didn't get through. I was walking down a farm road and it was pretty clean, my buddy was in front of me and walked right by it. When I past I heard, pop and felt it. I jumped and turned around and saw it slide across the road. Couldn't get to it fast enought to kill it and he was a big one! Just wondering if any of you guys have ever had close calls? Thats my second time!

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Thats way too close for comfort.

I aint gonna get on the www and admit to being afraid of snakes so lets just say that I get awfully excited when I see one. If one every bit me or struck at me itd probably all be over for me. :fear:

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
We had a close call the other day we were cleaning up some brush i was on the tractor and i seen a turtle go into where i was gonna push the bucket in next so i told my daughter to get so i didn't crush him with the tractor and when she reached in to get the turtle all of a sudden she took off running backwards screaming snake so i jumped off the tractor ran over there and killed it 28 inch copperhead. Too close to my little girl she couldn't have been more than 6 inches away from it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Man those are some close calls. I dont have very many poisness snakes around here so close calls are rare and even seeing them is even more rare. They do a rattle snake hunt around me every year and come up with some around 50-75 but not alot. Good Luck with those snakes gentlman keep them your way LOL

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
im sure glad i have better luck then you boys! i only come across eastern corn snakes or blue runners. ive only had one dog bite in 10 years.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Been hit 2 times by rattlers.Both times while judgeing at a trial.
The first time was a glancing hit that did not stick me, luckily because I had no protection. I did own a pair of snake boots shortly after that trial.LOL.
The second one was in very thick cover and hit the boot in the back of the ankle,and before we could get the dogs out of the area it got one in the head. Luckily the dog did survive.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That was a blessing that little girl didn't get bit. As for close calls, I probably wouldn't make it!!! I would probably take off and tell the dogs to load themselves. As for changing britches, forget it. Mine would probably have to be thrown away!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
yesterday evening i was running 2 dogs. i seen my 10 month old pup run through a bush and he jumped about 3ft high! so i walked over there and sho nuff there was a big ol cotton mouth staring me down ready to strike. i got closer to it and unloaded a whole 7 round clip of 32 auto federal hollow points on em.
snake measured out at 42" inches long. biggest cotton mouth ive seen in that particular swamp which is about 100 yards from my house.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
yal come with me

lol yal should deer hunt with me on the eastern part of nc there are a lot of rattlesnakes the biggest on killed down there was over 8 ft long lol just another snake i run my dogs in the summer at the edge of dark with shorts on lol bring on the snakes i don t care lol

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
We are seeing more cotton mouths this year tha ever before. I have had one dog birren.
Last month I killed 3 in one little mud hole. I think they were frog hunting. My boy killed 1 last night while he and a buddy were running dogs and frog hunting.

Another note last winter was the coldest winter we have had in Mobile in 60 years. It did not effect the snakes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would have had to stop and clean myself up! I try to run at night where I can't see them. That would have been way to close for me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts