Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK then no one seems to be crazy about brankos what if i breed hillcrest to a half weircreek gay i want a dog that is medium to medium fast good line control and good on the checks what do you think about this will this work

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mr Godfrey, I am not a breeder, but since you asking opinions and have not got many replies, I will give you mine. I would not buy or breed anything form 2 dogs unless I have seen the cross, or have seen both sire and dam run. For me, it is too much guess work. If the Hillcrest hound and the Gay/Weircreek both have the qualities you are trying to breed for, then there is a strong chance you will get what you want.

If you want some hounds that have foot, and still run the line and work a good check, the I would suggest you contact Mr Ronnie Britt in Brookhaven, Ms. He places several hounds at trials and has had 1 for sure win the nationals. HIS HOUNDS HAVE FOOT!! Ask anyone on here that has seen his dogs run. As he says...."he may get picked up, but it wont be off the back!!" Good luck to you!

Chris Havard

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes i could buy a breed that's already around but i am different and i want something different that just me lol i don't want the same thing every body else has

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Tim,
Didn't you already but the Hillcrest ?
If you have than the investment is made. Breed him keep all the pups and see what you get.

If you liked him enought to buy him hemust me what or close to what you want.

If you have not bought him find an fc stud in which ever spo style bloodiline you want and spend the money. It will be cheaper in the long run. Look at the dog and the bloodline not just the bloodline. Just because the dog is Hillcrest, Otis, blackcreek or what ever dosn't mean it is what you want the bloodline just gives you an indication of where to start looking . The bloodline tells you what traits to expect. It does not mean guarentee anything.

·
Registered
646 Posts
that will make them 1/2 hillcrest 1/4 gay and1/4 weircreek
If both dogs have the qualities your looking for go for it.

Hillcrest = line control

Gay Baker = foot

Weircreek = hunt

If your looking for some bloodlines with stamina and hunt gaybaker and weircreek are two of the best :up:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hound thats what i wanted to know

that's what i wanted to know i want foot line control and a great hunting dog sounds like what i have i have all the pups to breed next year the hill crest pups have 8 or 9 fc in there pedigrees the sire and dam can flat run a rabbit and have enough brains to know when they can run him and when they have to walk him they r supper great dogs :D

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you are wanting to breed to some gay blood there is a guy up there named James Davis that runs in PP. He has some good gay bred dogs there.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Tim,
If wanting to push the limits on foot speed consider the satsuma's. Then you are stepping out.

That hillcrest should be a good cross, I am not sure how different it will be. Blehound is correct Hillcrest usually = line control, You also have to look at genics to get what you want. Dominate vs recessive genes or just keep them all and see what you have.

Do not ask abot the dominate- recessive statement it is to complicated for me.

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
If speed is most important to you, my buddy owns the pkc hound of the year for 2009. The dog's name is Ten Miles Brankos Andy. My buddy is Gary Beaty. I haven't ran any pkc hunts but everybody i've talked to that has seen him run say he's the fastest dog they've ever seen. He took 4th place at the pkc world hunt this year. Gary is studding him out for 200.00 right now. Tim, If you want something different than everybody else has then maybe super speed is what you're looking for. I believe that the more speed you get the more line control you're going to loose. But let me know if you want Gary's number.

JMO Slow=super line control, Medium speed=good line control, Fast= poor line control

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Tim, very few people have ever accomplished anything without taking chances. If you like the Branko dog you're wanting to breed, do it! I've raised some Branko bred dogs and to be honest they were pretty darn clean by my standards. Some of the ARHA PP guys can correct me if I'm wrong, But in 2008 No Show Jones and Bradshaw's Hillary made a pretty good showing nation wide on the PP circut. I think Jones was Hound of the year in the Grand Ch. Class and Hillary was 2nd in the Ch Class? A lot depends on how you run them and what you run them with in those early years of training. JMO :flag:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hound i start my dogs by there self and i am just going to run these pups together as a pack no old dogs to help they will have to depend on there self no one else to help them

·
Registered
89 Posts
Dont see where breeding gay will get you foot... and how is your dog running?
You cant breed a average hound to a good hound and expect to have top notch pups,
jmo...Id rather breed to a branko than a gay or weircreek, their just not what I like, not that theres anything wrong with them, but as far as branko and ive ran with alot of them I prefer Northway-Northway Spur, but I like a 14-15 in hound with plenty of foot.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i have got all my pups together they all come out of great fc dogs in there blood line so i will see what i have when its all said and done if i don t like what i get i will start over i am not looking for the worlds fastest hound i want something with good speed and line control thats all

·
Registered
89 Posts
i have got all my pups together they all come out of great fc dogs in there blood line so i will see what i have when its all said and done if i don t like what i get i will start over i am not looking for the worlds fastest hound i want something with good speed and line control thats all
I not only want foot,line control hunt, drive, and brains, and that's what I run..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts