Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,157 Posts
It depends!! If I’m hunting in the morning I just feed about 1/4 cup xtra night before. If I’m hunting in afternoon I will feed them early morning and again when we get in that evening. I have noticed over the years that dogs start dropping energy levels in afternoons. If I’m hunting daily or real cold I give them a can of sardines also.

·
Super Moderator
3,330 Posts
After, the stomach can flip (bloat) if it has something in it while they are running. You want them working on an empty stomach with the exception of when they get a drink if water.
Also, after a cool down period of 30 min. or more after running/hunting.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It depends!! If I’m hunting in the morning I just feed about 1/4 cup xtra night before. If I’m hunting in afternoon I will feed them early morning and again when we get in that evening. I have noticed over the years that dogs start dropping energy levels in afternoons. If I’m hunting daily or real cold I give them a can of sardines also.
I hunt mornings most all the time, so I think I'm going to try the 1/4 of a cup the night before. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
722 Posts
What Spini said above is correct. Hounds running with a full stomach risk a stomach flip, which requires surgery to correct or a likely fatal blockage results. I don't think it's a common problem. Have heard it's more common in bigger dog breeds, but still is a risk in beagles.

Also, I believe a hound that is a little hungry may hunt a little harder than one who was just fed. I know I am more interested in grocery shopping if I haven't just eaten, right?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dogs should be fed 8 to 10 hours before they are worked. This gives the stomach time to empty out. I always feed late in the evening because I run days. If im running dogs 3 or 4 days a week on the off days i feed them an extra partial ration in the morning to help with stamina and to help control weight loss. A dog needs more feed in cold months because he burns fat for heat .

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
So what is really cold in Arkansas?😉

As all these fellas have stated after never before for all the reasons given and they run to catch on an empty stomach🤣🤣

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Definitely feed after hunting and give a little more food, make sure they have plenty of water.
if you feed before you hunt the stomach could flip, takes surgery to fix it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts