Self Culled I Hope

Discussion in 'The Tailgate' started by marshall dillon, May 22, 2020.

1. marshall dillon

marshall dillon Well-Known Member

Virginia
    I let 3 of my dogs out in my yard yesterday to run . Two of them haven’t been out since the end of the season in February . They were on my cull list . One for a pet home and the other the animal shelter or other . The third dog was my 10 month old puppy . My puppy jumped the rabbit and they ran it some and lost it . I probably shouldn’t had my puppy running with them anyway . I just wanted to see how he compared with them now . He already is better .

Well the shelter prospect dog ran off after they lost the rabbit . I saw him going over the hill and out of sight and not running anything . The pet dog came back to me .

He is the same dog that I was having trouble with during the season running out of a chase . He has a collar on with my name and number on . I am hoping for no calls and I have over a $1100 dollars in that dog , by far I have more money in him than 3 or 4 dogs put together .

The puppy picked the track back up and brought the rabbit back .

2. marshall dillon

Virginia
    Dang it someone just called . I am going to call them back and see if they want him and try to sweeten the offer by telling them that they can run him anytime on my property that I am not running if they want him .

3. Md deadeye

Md deadeye Well-Known Member

Maryland
    Marshall you really are trying to get rid of that one anytime you’re going to give it away and let them run on your place. If I was them I would take him just so I could’ve another place to run.

4. marshall dillon

Virginia
    Well they didn't want him . It was to young men probably younger than 22 living there . They were super nice young men . They had him on about a 8' lead when I got there and they turned him loose before I even got within 20 feet of them . I was telling them don't turn him loose . After they turned him loose he went after one of their chickens and caught it . He didn't kill it , but it might die . I told them if he shows up there again do what you got to do to save your chickens and to let me know if the chicken dies and I will pay for it . They thanked me and I told them I was sorry about their chicken and thanked them and left with the dog .

He was treated for heartworms last year and I think that treatment messed him up , because he wasn't like this before . He would come right to you if you called him and would be the first one back if I toned them . He has got mean also .

After I got home I called the animal shelter to see if they would take him and they said they would . He is going there Tuesday . To keep me out of trouble .

Circle4p likes this.
  5. Burnett

Burnett Well-Known Member

Marshall that dog has haunted you for awhile now.lol.I predict he will continue to haunt you if you give him to your neighbor.Just get rid of him and be done with it.ha.If i had 1100.00 in him id probably bbQ him.

6. Jeffrey Lytle

Jeffrey Lytle Active Member

What a bitter pill to swallow knowing you have that kind of money into a dog and he's worthless to you. Perhaps worthless to anyone.

I'm sorry that you've lost that kind of time and cash into a dog that doesn't run rabbits, you can't catch, and has turned mean. I hope you're rid of him soon.

My heart goes out to you in that situation. God speed and good luck. - Jeff

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  7. Hippy

Hippy Well-Known Member

Two of the BEST dogs I have owned -One was given to me by a Taxi driver --B4 e-collars figure he was running off game-- the 2nd was $35.00 + if we hunted 20 acres there would NOT be a Rabbit alive when we left --and like U Marshall I have one or two MONEY Pits
    @ 72 I have NO more time for project dogs -

Jim

8. Robert L. Dunn

Robert L. Dunn Well-Known Member

I guess this is probably as good of a time to post this as any. Our committee for the 2021 hunt is in the process of finding sponsors. I was thinking about some of the wildlife agencies in the various states, in addition to dog supplies, dog food sellers, etc. It appears that the H&H magazine may or may not be around as a source of giving recognition to our sponsors. If not we may have to rely on this site in order to recognize our supporters.

Which brings me to this point. I guess we have all been guilty in discussing how we get rid of a dog we don't like or predators that prey on our rabbit population. We do not know who or how many people pull up the site and read our posts and look at our pictures. Therefore, we need to be cautious of what we post and show. I know of one beagle club that was trapping red tail hawks. The wrong agency got a hold on it and the club was fined $10,000 I have been told. The ASPCA and other animal rights people can make it hard on those who disclose such acts and also those who sponsor them. This might make sponsors afraid to support us as a group and bring scrutiny on our hunts and activities.

So let's be careful. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

9. Hippy

Hippy Well-Known Member

10. Jeffrey Lytle

Jeffrey Lytle Active Member

Mr. Dunn - You are correct. I've edited my post above. Thank you for your line of thought.

11. Swampman

Swampman Well-Known Member

Wisconsin
    Good post and that is what PM's are for, please use it.

12. TJRANGER

TJRANGER Well-Known Member

Arkansas
    Thanks Mr Dunn. We just discussed this the other day. Appreciate you addressing and very well said.

13. Jabshier1

Jabshier1 Well-Known Member

So you’re keeping the pup ? Sometimes I guess and wonder if dogs know when they are about to be culled off they wise up , guess that pup got with program showed you what he made of give him a 2nd chance

Circle4p and [email protected] like this.
  14. Robert L. Dunn

Jeffrey: I wasn't directing it at anyone in particular because I have made the mistake myself. But thank you for being understanding.

Circle4p, Jeffrey Lytle and TJRANGER like this.
  15. marshall dillon

Virginia
    The puppy wasn’t on the cull list .

16. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

michigan
    You have to have PATIENCE, the light will go on eventually, many a good dog have been culled, given away because no one wants to take the time with them. The dog must do all at 8 months or older? Not all dogs do that! Some dogs that have been gotten rid of ended up as FC. PATIENCE then watch them grow and learn.

Circle4p and adam on the eagle like this.
  17. Jabshier1

Jabshier1 Well-Known Member

I knew a guy that hung onto an dog until it was over 1 year old all sudden it was like a switch went off in that dog one day out running with a pack of 6 dogs , she turned out to be a pack leader also his best jump dog he ever owned I had chance to hunt over her few times back in the days hard to believe a mute pup turned out to be an awesome hound I guess she was just “shy” about her voice she kept quiet for whole year before she finally opened up . He breed her kept a few pups to himself , kept breeding back to them it’s a Grade line good hard hunting stock that’s all he runs ... most guys including myself would have that dog away long before it reach 1 year mark if it didn’t Open up These days I select fewer dogs really work with them soloing and packing I take time with each dog and not try to overwhelm myself with a bunch of dog I hang in there a little longer on pups to get them going

[email protected] and Circle4p like this.
  18. Robert L. Dunn

This is an interesting subject. In field trialing I believe a lot of hounds are culled while they are still derbies. I guess I have been guilty of this myself. I believe most field trialers want to win or place right away. A derby will usually show many of the qualities that it takes to be a successful field trial hound, but nothing is forever. I guess it is like participating in the playoffs of the NBA or NFL. You start loosing early and it is difficult to catch up. Pro athletes are basically signed based on what they did in college. College athletes are recruited based on high school performance. So I do believe that early makes a difference but some will get better training than others. If you are looking for a good pack hound you may have more time. So when deciding to keep or cull a beagle you need to look for those basic assets which for the most part will show themselves pretty early. Who wants to feed and keep a hound for a long time when there are too many questions marks about WHERE it might end up.

I have watched a lot of pups develop over the years. What you should be looking for is how will this pup fit with my other dogs, will it satisfy my long term plans for it and does it come from a line of hounds that possess the qualities I am looking for. JMO.

19. marshall dillon

Virginia
    My puppy is already getting jumps . I need a dog that will pickup a check better or sooner and I know there is probably a lot of reasons for losing a check and taking too long to pick it back up . It doesn’t look like they are over running the line . It looks like they get to the end of the line and don’t have enough nose to keep it going .

20. LtELmer

LtELmer Well-Known Member

I THINK some dogs do not have as much nose but tracks and brains is what gets them better in the check JMO

Circle4p likes this.