Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
After deer season I run mine usually 3 days and hunt 1 day . I might not run them as much or as long when it is really hot and humid in July and August . During deer season I usually only run them on Sunday . Retired I have the time , but just don’t know how much time left , so don’t wish to retire .

I will add , it helps that all I have to do is open the pens doors and not drive anywhere .

·
Registered
892 Posts
Just curious, I'm sure this has been asked a time or 2, how many times a week do most of you guys run your pack? I personally work a lot of hours I do my best besides the weekend to run them at least once a week. My pack, "the meatballs" seem to be ok not topnotch of course but do circle the rabbit
Story of my life also. Sometimes I work up to 70 hour work weeks. With 3 daughters youngest being 12, always something going on. I try to run/hunt atleast once a week. During hunting season its a 6 - 8 hour hunt. Off season I run 3 hours usally on Sunday morning. I'm down to 1 beagle so I also try to get a walk or 2 during the week with her and my wife, 3 mile walk is atleast something, better then nothing.

If I was retired it would be a different story.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After deer season I run mine usually 3 days and hunt 1 day . I might not run them as much or as long when it is really hot and humid in July and August . During deer season I usually only run them on Sunday . Retired I have the time , but just don’t know how much time left , so don’t wish to retire .

I will add , it helps that all I have to do is open the pens doors and not drive anywhere .
yes that is the one thing I do have going for me is I live pretty much where I hunt , my main running area is right beside the house but just trying to find time between working long hrs and have to get up so early in the morning most days I am whooped by the time I get home

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I would caution against thinking you have to run hounds all the time. You know what they say about too much of a good thing - it turns into an obsession and a chore. Better to limit your hunting/running so that every hunt is fun for you and you are not feeling pressure to get out. I believe this is one of the main reasons there is so much turnover in beaglers. If you want an example of the turnover, look at any post on this Board from 2010 and see how many people you recognize. Keep it fun!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I run in my pen every day for the most part.But i am not there most of the time.Solo while i am at work.I will go switch dogs and stuff.Do my packing on the weekends unless i got something else i got to do.Huntsman is right you can burn yourself out if you aint careful.Usually backing off during the Summer when it gets so hot gets me a break.This year working on this new pen took up a bunch of my time so I have been getting after it every chance i get.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.