running pen

Discussion in 'Kennels and Housing' started by rosco, Apr 6, 2010.

1. rosco

rosco New Member

Is 2 acres enough land for a runnung pen ?
    What would be a decent sizes pen ?

2. Jeff Gammon

Jeff Gammon Active Member

I hope 2 acres is enough, because that is what I'm fixen to build. I don't think its enough for running, but it should be enough for starting

3. Bglenut

Bglenut New Member

2 acres would be ok for soloing a hound for 30 mins at a time. I will be fine for a starting pen for pups.

I would think 6 acres would be the least I would build to run 2 or more beagles at a time for a period of time.

You can have a small pen for running BUT you hae to have a THICK PEN with out any lanes.

Just remember, the smaller the pen, the harder it will be to run in because of the rabbit will be doing so much doubleing and tripleing on the same tracks/trials.

Just My Opinion Only

4. Ken James

Ken James Active Member

MS.
    David I agree with you on a small pen. They do cut back accross a lot. I have a 17 acre pen and it is very rough, that makes it quite interesting.

5. TC

TC New Member

I have a 3 acre pen just off from the kennels that seems to be working great for me.We start all our pups in it and i can Run the big Dogs 1 or two at a time for and hour or so. it is THICK and i have placed large Brush piles over it..I have seen baby Rabbits this year also....
    here are some pics...
    This is the Front Fence just behind the kennels.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is Same fence line looking back opposite direction.
    [​IMG]

6. TC

TC New Member

Here are a few from inside the pen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Tree line along the BACk of the pen
    [​IMG]

7. TC

TC New Member

More from the inside
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have also planted some areas in Red Clover and added more blackberries and enlarged the piles some.
    looks even better this year.
    this will be the third year i have had it up.
    I Sure like it...planning on expanding it to 5 acres this summer should let me run the big dogs for awhile longer..
    TC

8. Jeff Gammon

TC what type of fence did you use

9. TC

TC New Member

Red Barn Rabbit fence Not Sure but I think it was 16 gauge 5 foot with a one foot apron. 150' rolls. I put 8 foot pressure treated 4x4 every 50 foot conreated in with 6' t posts at 10 foot each. Used 8 foot telephone poles for the corners. 3 strands of barbed wire then the Rabbit fence. i used t post clips to attach the wire at the posts and stapled it to the 4x4s and then used UV wire tyes to attach the rabbit fence to the barbed wire...NO Problems with it so far.

10. Jeff Gammon

How long has yours been up. I just found some 60" red barn rabbit fence for $151 for 150 ft. roll. I saw some red barn that had been up for 7 years the other day it still looked pretty good.

11. TC

TC New Member

This will be my 3rd year for the pen.
    I Got a REALLY good deal on the fence 11 rolls for under $100 a Roll!!! The Cheapest i have seen it Was $118.00 a Roll at TSC....I Seen a pen that had The Red barn up for over 10 years and it still looked good Rusted in a few Spots but not Rusted thru...
    After our Ice Storm we had I had trees Down over mine in a few areas I Cut the trees out Restrung the barbed Wire and the fence Stood back up!!!!!
    before I finish up the other 2 to 3 acres i will have A tractor to Finish it I HOPE!!!!
    i am Gettin to OLD to run that Spanish backhoe much more!!!! and just Clearing the fence line took me ALL one summer!!!! TICKS, SCEETERS, And BUGS in general not to Mention all the CUTS and SCRAPES from the Headgeapple and locust trees...SURE was glad to See it Finished.. We dug all holes and pounded all posts By hand strung the Wire with the 4 wheeler Sure was GLAD I had JC to help me and keep me Going!!!!!!
    BUT Seein that First pup get a Site Chase put his Nose down at the loss and open Was all Worth it!!!!!

12. Jeff Gammon

I jave a 19 year old son that still lives at home, that is laid off right now. He is needing something constructive to do right now. I thought he might build old dad a starting pen. This is my idea not his. He likes chasing girls most of the night and sleeping most of the day

13. MackC

MackC Moderator

That's a fine looking pen. I really like the Hammock!

14. rosco

rosco New Member

Jeff,
    Girls are like rabbits,

They are easier to catch if you have money.

When he runs out ( of money ) you can get him to work cheap.

15. nice looking rabbit pen look like it had plenty of cover

16. TC

TC New Member

Thanks yes it seems to have Plenty Of Cover.... LOST a 3 mo old Pup in it this AM LMAO had to wait till she started howlin to find her!!!!!
    Caint Run Nuthin but pups in it right now though I Caught 9 baby Cottontail in the last week While mowin around the Farm and Cut em loose in there... Seen Two of em this mornin. Daughter said she saw A couple little bigger ones earlier this week so guess the older ones are breeding to..
    Caint wait to expand it this year be nice to Excersise a hound or two a couple hours a day!!! Lay back in the Hammock With a Cold Sweet tea and just listen ahhhhhhhhh....

For those Wondering I have about $4000.00 into just under 3 acres

17. Jeff Gammon

I called TSC yesterday, right now the wire is $149 a roll

18. TC

TC New Member

WOW!!!!!! Have you been out to red brand Site? maybe if you ordered direct!! it could be cheaper...

19. Jeff Gammon

I did go to their site, they wont let you order direct

20. hunterathart

hunterathart Member

tn
    you can get the wire at Moore feed store in Pontotoc miss. 662-489-1411.I got some there. Youngblood's in Mayfield Ky.dose mot carry it any more.