Running pen

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by Hunt like a dog, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Hunt like a dog

Hunt like a dog Well-Known Member

I am now 13 days since having rotator cuff surgery, we started a running pen the weekend before, do y'all know these pens are a lot of work. There is a good way to get therapy after your surgery, Mater after surgery put up a running pen. I go today for my first checkup, I wanna see the look on that Dr face when I tell him I've run a mile of apron wire around a new dog training pen. We come up 4 rolls short but I don't think I need therapy. By the way there is a new pen in southern KY.

2. M&M kennels

M&M kennels Well-Known Member

Is the pen close to your house mike and how are you running the pen we give you the dogs for you to put them in when ran or can we say rent it from you for a day and run like at night or whenever

3. 5 Solas

5 Solas Well-Known Member

Are you saying Mater should put up a running pen, or we ought to put Mater in a running pen? lol

4. mattdog

mattdog Well-Known Member

WV
    Have you seen Mater ?

I’m not sure how much runnin that fella can do. New knee on not.

rick Watkins, Circle4p and TJRANGER like this.
  5. Deadeye410

Deadeye410 Active Member

I'm trying to get a 2 acre training pen ready right now. Just bought the coated 1 inch chicken wire 4ft high. Hopefully I can get the pen ready by this fall. I'm trying to breed some Tennessee red backs for it right now.

6. Hunt like a dog

It's the field behind my house putting in gates and electric fence in the morning, all we like then is cover to get under and ad a few rabbits. Will be training dog, conditioning, starting. Don't know how much will be open, gonna see. We have a lot of pups to start and several looking to trial to be conditioned.

7. M&M kennels

If its the field I'm thinking of should be rabbits already in it lol and sounds good never ran in a pen but kinslow up in Glasgow told me to come up anytime but never have so I was just wondering about it being open to the public or for rent

8. Hunt like a dog

Ain't sure about the schedule between 3 of us it's bout 70 dogs and 60 pups now. Just looking to get money back with a few pups along.

9. JOHN MAYNARD

JOHN MAYNARD Well-Known Member

Circle4p likes this.
  10. JOHN MAYNARD

May be able to help with some rabbits. How long before you will need them.Have had 3 severe shoulder surgery all in a year it was bad .. looking forward to get some time to run a few with you. Be carful with shoulder.. I have to have a replacement now there saying.. Don’t over do it be safe good luck..

11. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

michigan
    Hunt like a dog- feel for you with the shoulder surgery, I have a question, I was wondering what kind of wire did you use for your pen? We want to stay away from the coated chicken wire.
    Thanks and good luck with your shoulder and new pen.

Circle4p and Hunt like a dog like this.
  12. Hunt like a dog

We used the coated chicken wire. Dr said shoulder is great can't lift 6 to 8 wks, in September we will do the left one, I get the double deal. Who would ever thought fencing as therapy for shoulder surgery.

13. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

michigan
    Thanks for the information about the fence. Getting both shoulders done in a short time you will have more time to enjoy doing the things you do without any discomfort or pain. Good luck to you!

Hunt like a dog and Circle4p like this.
  14. Deadeye410

Deadeye410 Active Member

I like the coated wire best. A friend of mine bought galvanized chicken wire and the whole bottom of his pen 1ft and down rusted out in 2 years. What is everybody else like?

15. Deadeye410

Deadeye410 Active Member

Hunt like a dog, it sounds like you are going to have a real training pen.

16. Seark

Seark Well-Known Member

Arkansas
    How many acres

Circle4p likes this.
  17. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

michigan
    I know at the Monroe Toledo club they used galvanized all around their pen and put 1x3 x 2 feet high from the ground up so rabbits could not get out.

Circle4p likes this.
  18. JOHN MAYNARD

Should surgery no joke the pain is very bad. It’s not no average pain. They want to work on my other .Going to wait iv been going on 2 years with surgery and a lot of therapy. Still in pain and unable to use my arm. Do good to put Deodorant on my motion it’s less than half before I had surgery.. I had three surgeries every three months apart set a lot different then a rotator cuff tear which I did have that and many other issues. Good luck hope all goes well..

19. tommy d

tommy d Active Member

HUNT LIKE A DOG--------LARRY JONES HAS A PEN IN PARIS TN,,,,HE STARTS HIS UP IN SEPTEMBER AND RUNS TILL MARCH.............GIVE HIM A CALL,,,YOU AND HIM COULD WORK ON EACH OTHERS WHEN YOU GET TO MANY PUP'S OR DOG'S-----------GET BACK WITH HIS NUMBER.

20. M&M kennels

Man that will be alot of running you have ahead of you with 60 pups