Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,693 Posts
Evenings like this one just leaves me hoping it will pay off later down the road. There was a handful of decent moves but the overall run was pretty choppy with a lot of down time. Maybe we will get some rain between now and rabbit season (Nov. 1) but at this point it isn't looking good.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
My dogs were raising sand a while ago. I went out to see what was up and there was two rabbits within 20 feet of the kennel.
I hope some make it till season and good running. It's just better when it's a little cold I think.
We was getting dry here to but then we got some rain.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
My dogs were raising sand a while ago. I went out to see what was up and there was two rabbits within 20 feet of the kennel.
I hope some make it till season and good running. It's just better when it's a little cold I think.
I have seen baby bunnies where I have never seen them before, they are funny hopping across the road.
When I was younger I would have my pup in my truck drive the back roads looking for rabbits. I usually stopped 4-5 times and put the pup down and slowly walk where the rabbit went into the weeds and ditch. Didn't take them long and they were opening and running. JMHO

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We had a nice cool morning today . I didn’t get up to early , but I ran as soon as I got up . They ran a 1/2 grown rabbit good for about 40 minutes , before I caught them . It was a good running little rabbit , made some nice big circles . I could have caught it a couple of times with my hands , it came by me so close .

·
Registered
518 Posts
Running yesterday and today has been outstanding. Aside from all the dang bears. Lows in 40’s and highs in 60’s last couple days in north Jersey. Same for tomorrow. To bad have to work. This young girl just finished up 4 hrs of solo time. Had her best run to date. Abundant rabbits , and actually saw a few hen turkeys with 12-18 1/2 grown chicks The 25 or so foxes and 10 coyotes took off this property last winter , has had a nice impact
Dog Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Comfort

·
Registered
634 Posts
, there has been one that hangs around my kennel for months, eats the same grass that is all over my yard but wants to eat right in front of my dogs, thats ok they will get payback if I can trap him as soon as my starting pen is done hes going in there

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Good job to everyone.

It's good to be as gritty as you expect your hounds to be and lead (alpha) them by example. K-9's are highly intelligent and they are watching...they see you they watching you and listening to you close...so you need to show them you watching them closer too! When they do good when running in the tough times and make a good lick or a quality move turn or find and they do good call them by name during the run and tell them they did good and get excited about it and watch the difference!!!! Hunt and run with them they get excited when you do that. Plus it's good practice for them if they go to trials they are already used to having people all over them while they do their work undistracted. It will actually excite them instead of distracting them. Practice makes perfect!

Your hounds are always listening whenever you are close in there with them when they are running or doing anything for that matter and you are close in the mix with them.

They like to know what pleases you so I tell mine they did good whenever they do it and just as important tell them in a different voice when they did bad too.

Keep running them and stay with them and watch. Swap dogs out on those same hard to run rabbits, baby or grown pay attention and learn from what you see with your eyes. See who can and who can't on that same rabbit at that same time and place. That is how you get a more accurate measurement on ability or lack of.

This time of year is a great evaluating, measuring and training tool for both dogs and owners. Do the work....Make sure you get in there and watch.... close. Pay attention to what you see and keep swapping up dogs on the hard to run rabbits in the worst toughest times of the day.

If you a got a stinger you will see it and know it cause it will ...JUMP OUT AT YOU!

It will be real obvious. So will the heart ache of watching the average struggle and eventually fail but hey that is why your are looking.

This is the time to look.....when it ain't easy!...Rat Terriers, mixed bred hounds, Walkers even a German Shepard run 40 hours a week on rabbits and shot over does a pretty fair job in the fall when it's easy.

Running now you will learn why the preferred rabbit dog out of all the dogs used for hunting rabbits is a good.... beagle.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine passed a good test this morning . They got on a check . I had seen that they were running a rabbit . Then a doe and her spotted fawn step out right from the area that they were running in . They see me and take off . I hear the dogs open again . I am waiting to see if they take the deer track . To my pleasure they didn’t .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts