Rabbit Dogs banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sorry Huntsman wasn’t implicating you have trash runners your statement just reminded me of all the off game that’s out feeding and searching. At night. I’m sure your dogs aren’t trashy
That is way I made the statement not to over run at night and usually I won’t run more then four at a time after dark. you are correct To much night running a dog could learn it’s ezer to hit another line then stay and work the one there on. Also can teach young dogs to hunt the edges instead of getting deep in the thick stuff
But I love it. It’s so quiet and the music from the hound really Pierces the night air.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I understand if all you got time to do it way better than nothing. But night running I doubt you will ever make a jump dog. A smart dog will soon learn he doesn’t have to with the hard checks & will walk off & because rabbits are up moving soon find another line to run that’s easier. A lot do it here. Dump dogs out with tracking collar on them sit in truck or in a chair & watch a screen. I don’t get it. A lot have no idea what the dogs running. I usually run into or pass couple these guys every morning as I’m going into a place to run. Scenting is much easier at night to I think. Heavy dew moist air. I think these guys are putting the dogs at big disadvantage when it in middle of the day when rabbits been sitting long time everything dried out. Dogs only hunted at night or early morning will struggle at mid day I’m sure.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I run when I can, with my work schedule 11-12hrs a day , middle of the day just isn't feasible , so I have to run whenever chance I get , weather it be night or waiting on the weekend , maybe "oneday" I will be able to run anytime I want but as of now only can do what I can do

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Mike and I's best year in Field Trialing was the year we ran at night. We only were able to run one night a week, but it paid off. We would go on Wednesday evening right at dusk. We would cast our first pack right at dark. We ran our dogs with training collars with bells on them so we could hear where they were before the jump. The grounds had good lanes so we were able to keep close to the dogs using my Kawasaki Mule. The races were usually long and lasted for hours until we were ready to pick them up. We had a super pack of males then and a pack of females just about as nice. We never had off game issues. Coyotes could be heard yelping at times not to far away, but never had issues with them. One night we were having a great race. It had rained all day the day before and had a lot of water on the grounds. The drainage canals and ditches full to the top. The dogs crossed the road near the bridge crossing the canal next to our property. We didn't want the dogs to get on the hunting club property across the road. We respected each others property. I in an attempt to catch the dogs, without thinking stepped to grab a dog and down I went. That ditch was deep, reap deep. We still talk about it. I didn't think of it being funny at the time though LOL!!!
That year FCGD Mike's Bayou Current Little Joe, finished for his title. The other males were nice also, but Joe shined. He went on to win 6 trials in a row. Was High Point Hound in the Deep South and Southern States. Old Joe is still alive, getting ready to turn 13 years old. Has produced 4 Field Champions to date with plenty with Licensed Places, a couple needing points or a win to finish. Some of his offspring have produced well also.

Our night running sometimes lasted all night sometimes. At times we crossed club members that were coming in as we were leaving from the nights running. We had great times, heard lots of strange noises and made jokes that will always be remembered. Even found the tree that BIG FOOT lived in during the day !!!!!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I would rather run in the day so that I can watch the rabbit and dogs cross . But when it gets real hot I will run mine at night . It still sounds good . I got so many ticks on me last week , I am not in the woods with them now during the daytime . They are running one now and I am building a clothesline .

·
Registered
202 Posts
The main place I run at night is at the house I can get to 3 out of the 4 sides of the block I run with my Mule , between ticks and how thick it is this time of year , this guy isnt going in with them lol, I turnem loose and they head right for the cuttover, as soon as they jump I just ride the mule and listen and to get a glimpse of the rabbit, yep its a lazy way to do it but they are getting in some running time lol

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I would rather run in the day so that I can watch the rabbit and dogs cross . But when it gets real hot I will run mine at night . It still sounds good . I got so many ticks on me last week , I am not in the woods with them now during the daytime . They are running one now and I am building a clothesline .

You would be surprised how much you can see at night with a good headlight or a nice handheld light. The dogs don't worry about the light shining on them once they get use to it. Didn't seem to bother the rabbit either. We could see the rabbit cross and run the lanes. We knew our dogs and basically knew how far ahead of them the rabbit would be, so knew where to look for him. It would get in the high 90's during the day in the summer. Running at night when it was in the "chilly" 80's was much better !!!!! We would have to stop the dogs to water them and switch them out. Even though they probably would of run all night if left to do so, we switched them out. Mixed them up again and out again. The worse danger was me driving my Kawasaki Mule through the grounds at night, Not paying much attention on where I was going, just paying attention to the sound of the dogs. It is hard to find where you are in nearly 300 acres. Luckily the interstate wasn't very far and knew if we went south from the sound of traffic, a pipeline was going to be found that brought us back to the clubhouse. With Today's GPS it would be a lot easier.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts