Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
I run at night when it gets warmer, get some real good runs at night as well, I have 12 acres of cuttover beside house, I dont hunt it just use for running , they normally stay in that area if they are still running late I just go to bed and next morning sometimes they are still running or laying beside their pen

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dogs can see at night. I have never seen a dog run into a tree, fence or such while at night and not being able to see. Coyotes chase down prey at night. I think the biggest advantage would be during the summer months it allows your dog to stay cooler a bit longer.
i never considered that. Interesting. I wonder what dogs actually”see” at night, like what type of vision it is. Humans can see at night as well, it’s just drastically different from what you can see during daylight

·
Registered
625 Posts
Temperature is the main advantage at night, the rabbit is normally a nocturnal animal also don't mind being up and moving. But you have a huge disadvantage to night running, the dogs do not have to hunt in the cover, become more reliant on picking up a bunny in the path.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Temperature is the main advantage at night, the rabbit is normally a nocturnal animal also don't mind being up and moving. But you have a huge disadvantage to night running, the dogs do not have to hunt in the cover, become more reliant on picking up a bunny in the path.
Thats my main reason for not running at night , running paths looking for tracks becomes a bad habit real quick

·
Registered
741 Posts
I run a lot at night. Due to work schedule and heat in the summer Some of the things iv learned.
Don’t over do night running As hunt like a dog stated could make them lazy on there hunt
Be safe especially if like me most of your running is done alone. Let someone know the area you will be at
Bring plenty of bug spray Them little blood suckers will find you
I found useing the slip on strope lights on the dogs collars are well worth the money spent for them these little guys are bright and come in different Colors. Makes it ez to indemnify the dogs also since useing them my dogs have never had an encounter with Coyotes. The bells just seemed to attract more then Deter yotes
As far as seeing iv seen no different from daytime to nighttime in my dogs
At night during the heat the rabbits seem to stay above ground and have longer runs
I would recommend night running There something about a pack running at night the music really carries

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I think it is easier for them to jump at night . A friend brought me one of his young females to solo last week . She doesn’t have starting , or jump hunt . So I suggested running her at night where I can see where the rabbit was at and put her on a fresh rabbit that is up . It worked great , she had me out till 1:00am that night and she ran almost the whole time . I felt like crap for staying up to 1:30 and getting up at 7:00 in the morning to run a different pack . I must be getting old ( I am old ) it took me until Monday to feel right again . I didn’t run her at night anymore after , because she came in heat and he picked he up Sunday .

·
Registered
9 Posts
i never considered that. Interesting. I wonder what dogs actually”see” at night, like what type of vision it is. Humans can see at night as well, it’s just drastically different from what you can see during daylight
I cant say exactly what they see but its much better than humans that's for sure. lol Hog hunting for instance, cut loose a catch dog to a bayed pig and they get there in no time flat thru whatever obstacle, myself if I didn't have a flash light it would take me a great deal of time walking with hands out in front to keep from running into things, surely couldn't run there with no flashlight.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yesterday, I ran 17 hounds for 4 hours. Only one small split, when 3 older hounds ran one a short distance until they heard the other 14 come around on the other rabbit. I can’t imagine trying a big pack at night when all the game is moving. Besides, I like to watch them too much!

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Makes the dog work more with its nose, I have run at night but the coyotes are a problem now, they need food to feed their pups. JMO

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yep for sure Huntsman you had better have Some straight up hounds that are trash broke if your going to run at night Are you will be in for a long miserable night

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yep for sure Huntsman you had better have Some straight up hounds that are trash broke if your going to run at night Are you will be in for a long miserable night
I don’t worry about trash, Dave. It’s all the rabbit lines at night that would cause issues. I want one chase going on, not four or five at once.

Daytime hunting teaches them to SEARCH out a rabbit, and it makes for better handling hounds than those who are cast at night to hunt on their own. I guess if the only time you can run is at night, then you have little choice, but I didn’t run at night even when I was working 9-5.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts