Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to plan my Fall/Winter 2020 hunting and its looking like that will include my beagle this year. I've been scouting East Fork Park and WMA as well as Indian Creek WMA in Southwest Ohio as potential places to run him and hunt him. It will be his first experiences. I have two questions for this forum:

1: Does anyone have areas in SW Ohio, Northern Kentucky, or Southeaster Indiana that they recommend to run rabbits or even hunt? I'll likely purchase hunting licenses in all three states this year as I have public and private land available for Deer.

2: Is there anyone on this group that lives in this/these area(s) that would be willing to allow my new dog to run with their dogs to get training?

Thanks in advance
Justin

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
My daughter lives pretty close to east fork park. They havent lived there long enough to know a lot about it. It looks to have some fields that should rbts, but I bet it gets hammered

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I'm starting to plan my Fall/Winter 2020 hunting and its looking like that will include my beagle this year. I've been scouting East Fork Park and WMA as well as Indian Creek WMA in Southwest Ohio as potential places to run him and hunt him. It will be his first experiences. I have two questions for this forum:

1: Does anyone have areas in SW Ohio, Northern Kentucky, or Southeaster Indiana that they recommend to run rabbits or even hunt? I'll likely purchase hunting licenses in all three states this year as I have public and private land available for Deer.

2: Is there anyone on this group that lives in this/these area(s) that would be willing to allow my new dog to run with their dogs to get training?

Thanks in advance
Justin
Justin are there any beagle clubs near these locations that you could contact. Is there any state land you could access, it probably gets pounded, contact the Dept. of Resources or their web site to check things out. Another thing after deer season ends knock on doors to ask permission to hunt. A lot of times people will let you hunt. Keep names and addresses and send thank you notes at the end of the year. They will appreciate it and more then likely let you hunt next year. We did that for fox/coyote land to hunt, at the end of the year we went around and gave each land owner a large Venison Summer Sausage. Good luck

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Not knowing alot about Ohio -went to Chillicothe for 10 + years 4 the Easy Rider shows and it always looked like good Rabbit country.
Had a **** hunting buddy that would go up North ? to the Amish Country and said Rabbits were plentiful in that area and the Amish were easy to get permission from

Jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Justin are there any beagle clubs near these locations that you could contact. Is there any state land you could access, it probably gets pounded, contact the Dept. of Resources or their web site to check things out. Another thing after deer season ends knock on doors to ask permission to hunt. A lot of times people will let you hunt. Keep names and addresses and send thank you notes at the end of the year. They will appreciate it and more then likely let you hunt next year. We did that for fox/coyote land to hunt, at the end of the year we went around and gave each land owner a large Venison Summer Sausage. Good luck
The Foxes85, unfortunately I haven't found any beagle clubs near me. When I talk to other hunters I here that there used to be several but they aren't operating anymore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My daughter lives pretty close to east fork park. They havent lived there long enough to know a lot about it. It looks to have some fields that should rbts, but I bet it gets hammered
Wad, I have had him out to the dog training area at East Fork a couple of times. It gets hit really hard and with the virus going on, there are a lot of people that use the space as a dog park. Lot's of untrained, non-hunting dogs just running around. I'm looking at Indian Creek as being a getting spot, farther from the city so hopefully fewer people.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats disapointing to hear, I was hoping it wouldnt be that way . I was working on daughter to let me give my grandson a dog capable of teaching him how to rbt hunt. There about in walking distance I think.
well, that's right now. I talked to the ODNR guy that coordinating the area and he said that their goal is to manage the area to improve rabbit habitat, and that you can run dogs anywhere except May 1 to August 1. During that time, its only the Dog Training ground. I'd say that if your daughter is that close, go for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts