Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’m relocating in the next few months to Dingmans ferry Pennsylvania. It’s located right by the Del Water Gap and near NY, NJ border. Just curious if anybody has any advice or state land or whatever that I could possibly run my beagles. Not looking for any secret spots or anything just a place to be able to run them here and there. I’m trying to understand their game land maps but not sure if it’s good for rabbit or not. Thanks for any advice in advance.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I used to hunt the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area in the late 80’s and early 90’s. We used to get a good amount of rabbits. It is/was stocked with pheasants. It was pretty good hunting then.
Also, the Wallpack in is a great place to eat, or at least was.
My parents still live in that area and my dad still pheasant hunts it. He says he jumps rabbit quiet a bit. He is always trying to get me to bring my beagles up there.

·
Banned
3,213 Posts
The rabbit population is pretty down actually. Used to be good. Not anymore. I don’t know about Pa side. NJ is tough.Even during summer there doesn’t seem to be like they once were. It can sometimes take a long time between starts. I hate to actually shoot too many. Maybe my dogs stink though. They keep looking for blue rabbits.
There are running rules dependent on where you go. If in NY or NJ you can pm I’ll try n answer. Pa I’ve never small game hunted
On the flip side if you’re looking just to run there’s a couple clubs not too far off for summertime running. NJ and NY you can’t run spring and summer. Again not sure of Pa rules.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Delaware State forest goes right through Dingmans. Prob 50,000 acres fragmented up . I would imagine you can find a few spots to runs dogs there. Not saying your gonna find an abundance of rabbits. Mostly deer / turkey / bear terrain. Also couple state game lands in area. Again , not rabbit habitat , but some do exist. From Dingmans , couple beagle clubs within 30 mins. Couple more under and hr drive.
Rt 739 Splits Dingmans .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Delaware State forest goes right through Dingmans. Prob 50,000 acres fragmented up . I would imagine you can find a few spots to runs dogs there. Not saying your gonna find an abundance of rabbits. Mostly deer / turkey / bear terrain. Also couple state game lands in area. Again , not rabbit habitat , but some do exist. From Dingmans , couple beagle clubs within 30 mins. Couple more under and hr drive.
Rt 739 Splits Dingmans . View attachment 53038 View attachment 53038
Awesome thank you so much!!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Dang you can’t beat that deal, JDW I will be up tomorrow , I will bring my own beagles, I like to use a 20 gauge auto (Browning preferably) 2 3/4 inch 6 shot, I like my steaks Med /rare Rib eye with a IPA in a frosted mug, fries will do either sweet potato to reg fries I am not picky. Just front brakes this time but could also use an oil change (synthetic please). What time should I plan on being there?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi all,

I’m relocating in the next few months to Dingmans ferry Pennsylvania. It’s located right by the Del Water Gap and near NY, NJ border. Just curious if anybody has any advice or state land or whatever that I could possibly run my beagles. Not looking for any secret spots or anything just a place to be able to run them here and there. I’m trying to understand their game land maps but not sure if it’s good for rabbit or not. Thanks for any advice in advance.
Not sure where ur moving from or when , but I would be happy to meet up , and run dogs with you when that happens. Also , the Blue Ridge Beagle Club is hosting a rabbit hunt on Sat Feb 20 if your interested in participating. Only 30 mins from Dingmans . Will prob get an advertisement sheet posted here shortly.

·
Banned
3,213 Posts
Not sure where ur moving from or when , but I would be happy to meet up , and run dogs with you when that happens. Also , the Blue Ridge Beagle Club is hosting a rabbit hunt on Sat Feb 20 if your interested in participating. Only 30 mins from Dingmans . Will prob get an advertisement sheet posted here shortly.
I pm him about the same info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts