Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to feed the dogs just now and I noticed Tanks eyes didn’t look right and he doesn’t look like he has the spunk that he usually does . His eyes are red and droopy looking and he was not jumping on me like he usually does and went into the doghouse when I was cleaning . I gave him some Benadryl . I guess I will be calling the Vet in the morning .

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
When you say it looked cloudy , is it the cornea that’s cloudy ? If the cornea is cloudy the iris , the colored part of the eye will be cloudy as well. If that’s the case , he could have a corneal abrasion with edema and should have antibiotics.
Angle closure can cause a cloudy cornea as well , but I don’t know if that’s a problem in dogs.
Have to be careful diagnosing by description though. Sometimes with an eye injury in dogs the nictitating membrane will cover the eye and make it look cloudy

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He is going to the Vet tomorrow afternoon . I made a appointment today . I hope that it’s not as bad as I am thinking it is . The hole brown part looks cloudy . I had a German Shepard poke his eye out and it looks similar . But it looked like he would blink and close it when my finger got close to it .

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I have several dogs that have put out one of their eyes running in the thick stuff for hours and days on end. Hey it happens with gritty dogs determined to hunt hard for rabbits where they hang out. Gritt

I had a male pup one time that hunted so hard and so intense he put out both of his eyes and was running a rabbit completely blind when I took him out of the starting pen. That was a shame. He was real deal old time bred too from some of the hardest hunting dogs that run a tight close clean smooth rabbit ever made too.

I keep five or six small tubes of some salve I get from the vet about $24 bucks a small tube. I put that in eyes that look cloudy the next day clears it up quick.

When I run out of that then I usually just put more briars on their eyes and that seems to clear it right up too.

Speaking of hunting hard....I am excited about this....I have an 11 year old male at my house I recently found that was thought to be dead but to my joy and surprise is actually still alive who is directly out of my old Spongy bitch and I got him back, cleaned him up and am going to try and get pups out of him. This old boys name is you guessed it HUNTER! He is the real thing in the briars. He is them most intense hardest searching hardest hunting best jump dog I ever bred owned or seen. I let a friend get him years ago to help him. I had written Hunter off as dead.

Hunter is a super blocky super wide gray faced bull and is a direct son of my old TANK dog x Honey Island Spongy. He is the only one of his kind alive on the planet.

HIs eyes are a little grey too but he can see up close. Hope I get pups from this old bull. If I do it is own like a chicken bone!!...Yes it is!

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I just got back from the Vet , good news the eye didn’t have anything in it . He has something that the Vet said came from something that he ate or got from another dog , or a tick . I did get a tick off of him about 3 weeks ago . I ran with my nephews dogs Saturday and noticed it Sunday , but as far as I know his dogs are ok . I can’t tell you the name and they didn’t write it on the bill . I think she said it was anterior ureitis . They gave me something to put in both eyes , prednisone and doxycycline and told me the keep giving him Benadryl twice a day . I didn’t think the bill has that bad , $78 dollars . If he keeps having to go to the Vets , he is going up the road .

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The sad part today , a young woman had to put her dog down . She was really crying . I saw her come out of the office crying and then pull her car around to the back of the building and get out with a towel . I felt bad for her . I can remember putting my German Shepard’s down and having to sit in the parking lot crying for about 10 minutes before I could drive . Seeing her today and typing this my eyes got watery .

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I will have to brag on him a little bit . I let him ride upfront in the truck today . He wanted to stay right beside me . When we get there , they want you to call and then they will call you back to come in . There was a woman with a Great Dane already parked waiting to go in . I was talking to her and she said I can tell he sure loves you . He had his face almost right beside mine . Everyone said how pretty he was . I was talking to the Vet and she asked if he was a house dog . I told her no , but he would probably make a good one though . I told her that he listens good and comes to me when I call him without all that GPS equipment that I have . She said I can tell that looking at him . He is a big boy , 33 pounds and she said he looked great . He did pee in the floor twice today though .

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good news , his eye is looking a lot better . The cloudiness and the redness has cleared up . I thought that I was going to have a hard time putting the ointment in his eyes by myself , but it hasn’t been a problem . I think he looks forward to it because I give him a treat afterwards . But that might have been a mistake , because I have to settle him down when I first go in there , because he is looking for the treat .

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Good news , his eye is looking a lot better . The cloudiness and the redness has cleared up . I thought that I was going to have a hard time putting the ointment in his eyes by myself , but it hasn’t been a problem . I think he looks forward to it because I give him a treat afterwards . But that might have been a mistake , because I have to settle him down when I first go in there , because he is looking for the treat .
He knows that the medication is helping his eyes, the eyes are feeling better, the treat plays into it as well. :giggle:
Glad the eyes are getting better. JMHO 🐶💉

1 - 20 of 21 Posts