Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just caught my dogs off a big swamper at 12:15 pm. They jumped that rascal almost as soon as they hit the ground at 10:30 am. and he circled like cottontail for about 3 rounds then he would kind of come and go in a much larger pattern. They didn't want to quit when I stopped them but it was starting to get a little warm at least on me. I started not to catch them because I saw the rabbit cross into the creek bottom that joins my property and I really wanted to listen to them run in those open woods with no thickets.

I'll tell what I have really had a good time running the dogs this season and been blessed to have plenty of rabbits to chase. I even saw a rabbit scammpering out of the thicket where the dogs were running that they were not after. I do all of my hunting on the outside so when I see extra rabbits this is very good.

I hope all of you fellows have had a great season and continue to have good running.

Roger

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yep had a good season ,have bought 3 new dogs in the last 3 weeks trying to go in a different direction in the coming years and so far i am pretty well pleased with what i am seeing ran a rabbit Monday:thumb: a.m. for 1 50 minutes man thats good for me, my old dogs done real good to stick him for an hour generally is was about half that so you can understand my excitement

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Man Roger, thats awesome. You seem to have alot of swampers around there. All I have around my hhouse is a house cat. And they will run the crap out of it too. :D

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man Roger, thats awesome. You seem to have alot of swampers around there. All I have around my hhouse is a house cat. And they will run the crap out of it too. :D

I've heard tell of some excellent cat races. I am very fortunate to have as many rabbits to run both Cottontail and Swampers right here on my place. Maybe someday I can build a good rabbit fence around 40 to 60 acres of it. I'm going to do my best to enhance it for running rabbits as much as I can and as the money and time permits.

See I look at it like this. I may not be able to squirrel or racoon hunt as much as I used to someday but I can certainly sit in a lawn chair and listen to the dogs run and since I already know how much I like it this is a no brainer for me.

Roger

1 - 4 of 4 Posts