Rabbit Dogs banner

Raising a beagle inside that you’re gonna hunt

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  S.R.Patch 
#1 ·
What’s your guys thoughts and opinions on raising a dog inside the house that you’re gonna hunt

#2 ·
Wont hurt it a bit. I don’t but know several that do. Only thing I have seen is they need to be climatized before just taking them out and letting them run. If raised inside during the winter they don’t develop the coarser hair that keeps them warm and during the hot summers they can’t handle the heat as well. Just my observations from a couple I’ve ran with that are house kept.

#3 ·
I think one of the biggest issues you may run into is getting attached to the dog as it’s a pet. If it has faults it’s tough to move on from. I never worry about the cold , they keep moving enough to generate heat as long as they are hunting. Mine ride in a crate in the back seat , in the winter because of the cold while traveling. Summertime extra caution has to be taken , but if they are ran frequently enough it’s not been a huge issue for me. Mostly mornings with dew on keeps them cool. Handling traits seem to come easy .

#8 ·
Yeah I understand that and yeah that’s one thing I’ve made clear with my fiancée is that he is a hunting dog you know I hate it as much as the next person but with hunting dogs things happen no matter how close to them you are that was an issue to me for a long time til I finally realized to treat them good but always realize anything can happen while hunting

#9 ·
We have a little female in the house that when I brought her home at 6 weeks old it was real cold and I had nothing to kennel her with and my wife decided we was goin to have a house dog. She is not really a dog person but she took a liking to this little gal and she became our house dog. She is 5 months old now and ever time we let her out now she goes over the hill behind the house and runs rabbits until I go get her. She love the couch and cuddling on your lap but nature of being a beagle and running rabbits has became first priority.

#10 ·
I agree with TJ, it should not matter if the dog is in the house at all. I have and known of hunters who did it that way. As TJ said the dog needs to be acclimated to the weather conditions for hunting. Living in Michigan with snow and such my dogs are outside. I had one that was an inside dog I ran her a lot so she was pretty used to the weather. JMO

#12 ·
There was once an old man they called the "Bat". He had many hounds and some he kept in the house. These, he called his "pets". while the others were kept in kennels as the pack. I guess there were different reasons these "pets" were kept apart from the pack, but I never heard them mentioned, other than the winter nights were long and cold and I guess some hounds are more biddable and naturally tempered for inside living.
I talked to the old man who had received these "pets" when the old bat decided another should get some use of his breeding before he pasted, but he wrote him a letter and made him agree a solemn promise..."These are my personal "pets" and they still have some breedings in them. You must promise that when your done with them, you will put them down and they will pass to the hands of no others.
Thus came the patch hounds to Hazlehurst, Mississippi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.