Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now raise your hand if you think a product that has been on the market since 1983 is outdated....

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
:down: Sorry guys I have to vote no on this one. I may have misread the question but I have quit using it since I had some dogs show up with heartworms after being treated with ivermectin all of their lives. I switched to hartgard.

Roger

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
roger,

heartguard's active chemical to kill heartworms is ivomectin. same as ivomec. ask heartgard how many free year supplies they gave out because dogs on there product tested posiive.

the point of this post was to educate people that ivomectin has been on the market since 1983! its time for research for a new product to prevent heartworms. vets in the south are together on the belief that the heartworm has altered its life cycle to mature faster than we are treating at the rate of once a month.

it is because ofthis i treat twice a month.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
roger,

heartguard's active chemical to kill heartworms is ivomectin. same as ivomec. ask heartgard how many free year supplies they gave out because dogs on there product tested posiive.

the point of this post was to educate people that ivomectin has been on the market since 1983! its time for research for a new product to prevent heartworms. vets in the south are together on the belief that the heartworm has altered its life cycle to mature faster than we are treating at the rate of once a month.

it is because ofthis i treat twice a month.
I agee with you trobin but it is the incorrect dosages that cause the most problems in my opinion and not enough is just a bad as too much. In most cases people don't have their hounds tested for heartworms and just start treating them not knowing if they have larva problems or full blown grown worms. My Vet had saved a dogs life from over dosing the week before I was in his office.
I think Hartgard is safer so that's what I will use until science builds us something better.

Roger

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I start treating at 8 weeks 1/10cc per 10 lb every two weeks. I'm gonna test a few young dogs once they hit one year old and see if this treatment works.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Roger

several police/sheriff departments in south Louisiana had numerous canines test positive for heartworms while on heartgard preventitive. Heartgard response was to treat the dogs and provide the agencies with 1 year supplies of their useless product.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Roger

several police/sheriff departments in south Louisiana had numerous canines test positive for heartworms while on heartgard preventitive. Heartgard response was to treat the dogs and provide the agencies with 1 year supplies of their useless product.
I don't know how you could keep from testing positive in the states we live in with mosquitoes like we have. I'm still going to stick with Hartgard this year. Ivomec doesn't work good either as a matter of fact cattlemen are rotating wormers as well. It seems the worms are building a resistance to ivomec and others too. Maybe we need a better mosquito repelent to help out.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I just talk to a vet about this a few months ago. There have been alot of cases where dogs have tested positive for heartworms the past few years that have been on heartgard (ivomec) all their lives. He said ivomec has been on the market for 20+ years and over time the heartworms are getting immune to it. They still have the heartgard at the vet but they are pushing the Advantage product because they have got a new heartworm prevenative out to take the place of ivomec. I can't remember the name of it but it's on the Advantage box. I ask him if u can buy this new preventative by the bottle and he said not yet. My wife put our house dog on the Advantage and when I get home I'll look and post the new preventative on here.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Here it is. Moxidectrin. This is the new replacement for ivomec. I've used ivomec for years like everyone else with no problems but I don't have my dogs checked either and with this goin on with ivomec it makes me wonder how heartworm free our dogs actually are. I wish you could buy this new stuff by the bottle. Maybe we can in the future.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Copied from some webite. CYDECTIN® injection for cattle is a non-irritating sterile aqueous solution containing 10 mg of moxidectin per mL.

Roughly $85 for 200ml bottle. im unsure of dosage for dogs. ill ask my vet monday about the product and post his answers.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
advantage multi is 1.1mg/lb of body weight for dogs. so if the cattle solution is 10mg/1ml you would give a 25lb dog 2.5 ml/cc a month. check with your vet first.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Been doing some googling on moxidectin. Proheart6 is a brand name for moxidectin for dogs. It's injectable and it's once every six months. I can't find it anywhere to buy it though. I'm gonna keep researching.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Proheart 6 is manufactored by fort dodge. It was on the market before and pulled because 5500 or so dogs died. It has since been put back on the market under limited supplies. In other words fort dodge is supplying certain vets with limited supply to monitor the effects on ur dog. This way they can control how many they kill.

My vet recommended against it even though he has it. I'd bring my kid to this dude before most pediatricians.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts