Rabbitdogs Rabbit Hunt

Discussion in 'The Tailgate' started by Swampman, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Swampman

Swampman Well-Known Member

Guys, I've belonged to the Hunted Hare for years and we use to have an annual Hunted Hare Hunt.
    We haven't had one for 3 years now and there is rarely a post anymore on that forum neither.
    Don't let the "Hunt" fool you, we never shot any (except for a couple of kids), just a bunch of guys getting together for a long weekend running hounds in the north country on Hare, drinking beers each night with a lot of BS flying.

I really miss that get together and was thinking maybe some on here would enjoy doing this with a twist? We could move it around year to year to run Hare one year, Swampers the next then cottontails, etc.

I still run with a couple of the guys, but we don't do the big get together anymore.

Here are a couple of slide shows from the last two years we did it.
    Brandon (not the Brandon on this forum) was a natural at putting together the slide shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wzTPKRJvMc&feature=player_embedded
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTKHA6HRo04&feature=player_embedded

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    AJ Johnson, Circle4p, LtELmer and 8 others like this.
  2. TRK

TRK Well-Known Member

Sounds like a lot of fun. I would go if I could get off work.

Circle4p likes this.

3. wad

wad Well-Known Member

Il.
    Thats the kind of thing I thought a field trial would be the first time I went lol. Sounds good

Circle4p, Rocroc and rienmark like this.
  4. LtELmer

LtELmer Well-Known Member

Take a mess of Videos like that and put them on Netflix,does a humans soul good to get back to earth ! These litterally made me feel so good !

5. dovehunter

dovehunter Active Member

Sounds good Swampman,im all in, lets make it happen.

Circle4p likes this.
  6. Circle4p

Circle4p Well-Known Member

Alabama
    Could have one down in Bama also lol

7. Brandon

Brandon Well-Known Member

Swamp. That's an outstanding idea. I would definitely be interested in something like that. I would be more than willing to show the covers in Maine

8. Materjuice

Materjuice Well-Known Member

Soso, MS
    Ohhh my ..... THIS COULD GET UGLY!!!!

FUN AS ALL GETOUT,........... BUT UUUGGGLLLLLYY!!!

Idea: Perhaps the houndsmen local to the hunt,... could provide the hounds for the area hunted!
    Would be more dogs than we could hunt! Plus a nightmare hauling that many dogs and logistics of their upkeep!

Just a thought!

Materjuice

Rocroc and rienmark like this.
  9. LtELmer

Well I have done some thinking on this very idea for a year.Thoughts I had ,middle location for North and south and East and West .A big enough location dogs could be kept,hounds people could stay in accomadations or bring there own .split up hounds and run in different locations then split up and go out again Do it on a weekend.

10. rienmark

rienmark Well-Known Member

Well it depends on how many people shows up they was talkin the whole weekend you could run a lot of dogs in the whole weekend I don't know just some ideas I know one thing my dog got some good foot but they ain't got no foot like them hair dogs got I done seen that

Sundance1 and Rocroc like this.
  11. rienmark

What you think LT I think the middle of all of us guys I see on rabbitdogs.net going to be somewhere around Kentucky Tennessee everybody needs to put in with their ideas

Rocroc likes this.
  12. Materjuice

Soso, MS
    Yessir,... much planning! The more you do, the more you think thru it,... the easier and more enjoyable it would be for everyone!

Let’s go fellas,... the only bad idea,... is the one not thrown out, on this deal!
    It’s also closer to season than ya think,... may wanna plan it a full year out!
    Just a thought!

Rocroc and Circle4p like this.
  13. LtELmer

use common sense ,run fast dogs together ,med together and so on that part would have to be played by ear.

Rocroc likes this.
  14. Materjuice

Soso, MS
    Very true!…… Think on this,... if it could be whittled down to a weekend,... some could take dogs!
    That would be your personal decision!
    Planning a year out,... would allow some to fly in(cost effective) if planned far enough in advance!
    Would allow some to make it in for the hunt,... that otherwise couldn’t!

Try to accommodate the working with kids crowd!

Busky

BLue mountain likes this.
  15. Materjuice

Soso, MS
    Well,... let’s hammer out a particular area of the country first!

I know our yank brothers wanna get in on a runaway Swamper train!…… but no worse than I wanna see a solid white bad bunny plowing through the snow! So,...

... Let’s work on a PLACE,... THEN ,... figure the month and weekend!

Mater

16. rienmark

I think you get smarter the more you drink

17. Materjuice

Soso, MS
    Ha!... stopped on the 2nd one! Working tomorrow!

Boy,... when Swampman opens up a can,... he goes with the the Family value, double Xxxtra large can,.... does he not?

Headed to bed mi Amigos…… Hasta manana!!!!

Mater

18. Swampman

Swampman Well-Known Member

Holy crap, you guys been busy!
    We always stayed at someone's camp and some brought campers, tents.

The whole idea is to bring your own hounds and run together, many of the guys staked them out on gang chains and I use my dog trailer.

To keep the hounds down in number, we could stipulate each guy can run two hounds each.
    I go to the Island every year and we have a 10 hounds down limit.
    There are usually 2 to 4 of us so we can run 2 to 5 hounds each daily depending on how many guys are there.

Like I said in original post, I'm all for moving it around.
    I'm willing to drive pretty far to run hounds, just have to make sure you have a big enough area with enough game to make it worth everyone's time that is traveling from a far.

Mossy Creek Beagles likes this.
  19. Brandon

Brandon Well-Known Member

Come to Maine anytime swamp