Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of the rain our baby rabbits are drowning-------we will not have a good crop this year-----if you have a private place put out salt for them and pellets. that will help them re-coup------flea and tick control can be addressed too----make a 2 ft sq box outta 1x4 and put a cover about a foot over it to shelter it from rain----keep diamatous earth and sevens dust in it for them to use
Little things that help them will improve your pleasures this fall

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have been seen alot of young ones every evening. We cannot drive in and out our road without seeing a minimum of 5.

Seems pretty solid around here. I will let you all know if I see a difference but just seen 3 the next driveway up, about 10 inches long. I am in the sticks not a subdivision. In case anyone is wondering. We had a tremendous amount of rain last night.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I need to get some salt out. I'm gonna try the sulfur blocks this year too, I've heard they help with fleas and ticks. Also need to hinge cut some trees in a couple of our spots now that the leaves are on.

My brother ran this evening in Richmond Ky he physically seen 5-8 rabbits while running a couple of which where half grown he said
I ran in Richmond the other day and had a hard time telling which rabbit they was actually on. That spot always holds a lot of rabbits but this year seems to be above average so far.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Guys I cannot remember a year in the last 25 years that I would consider a down year in terms of Rabbit population. I'm not saying that it has not happened in some areas. I'm sure in some cases it has.

I have only hunted Kentucky and Indiana for those 25 years and I can say I have not noticed a big difference from year to year no matter what the circumstances have been.

What I can say is, I notice a difference in how hard I hunt and my expectations from year to year. I have buddies that have hounds and hunt every year and say that the population is down, no matter what the circumstances are their answer is the population is down. They always jump 2-4 Rabbit's and gripe about the population. I ask them how long did they hunt and they say about 2 hours. I on the other hand have slowed down a bit but I still hunt 4-5 days a week for about 6-7 hours a trip. We have jumped between 600-700 Rabbit's a year for right around 20 years now. This year we killed 389 in those 2 states. That is hunting Kentucky from Nov 1- Jan 31 and Indiana thru the month of February.

Another thing I notice is if a farm has Rabbit's, it normally will always have Rabbit's. In those 25 years there are farms that I have hunted every year for 25 years and they normally produce around the same numbers YOY. They are just producers whether it be cover, lack of predators, food, or lack of pressure. We only hunt private land and of course I take care of my land owners in terms of catfish fillets, cleaned Rabbit, knives, gift cards, and watching their land for them (For the ones that are around me).

We only hunt a farm once a year as to keep pressure down. I KNOCK ALOT OF DOORS AND TALK TO ALOT OF FARMERS ALMOST EVERY TIME I LEAVE THE HOUSE. It drives my wife crazy but to give you an example I have picked up 3 additional farms to hunt in the past 2 weeks. I can and will start a thread soon on how you can become successful at gaining permission to hunt private land. I have made the offer to spend a day with anyone that would like to learn how to start those conversations or how to gain access. It's a skill and it can be learned. I cringe when I hear people say that they have lost all their spots and have no where to hunt. If that is the case Gentleman, I can help.

Will- I was not referencing you in regards to your title about population. I was talking about specific buddies that I have. Lol just wanted to clarify.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i HAVE NOT SHOT A RABBIT IN YEARS when i did harvest i only took 3 per season. when you run tree dogs for year you listening for that locate bark and forget that a rabbit is coming at ya!! 😂 I love hearing dogs run a rabbit so i do what little i can to promote their well being

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Found three dead hawk chicks that were apparently blown out of their high pine tree nest by one of this weekend’s rainstorms. Darn
I found a dead cottontail a couple weeks back. A lot of fur had been plucked from the rabbit and only a portion of the neck and shoulder had been eaten.
A couple days later it was gone. I suppose a coyote found some hawks kill.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Guys I cannot remember a year in the last 25 years that I would consider a down year in terms of Rabbit population. I'm not saying that it has not happened in some areas. I'm sure in some cases it has.

I have only hunted Kentucky and Indiana for those 25 years and I can say I have not noticed a big difference from year to year no matter what the circumstances have been.

What I can say is, I notice a difference in how hard I hunt and my expectations from year to year. I have buddies that have hounds and hunt every year and say that the population is down, no matter what the circumstances are their answer is the population is down. They always jump 2-4 Rabbit's and gripe about the population. I ask them how long did they hunt and they say about 2 hours. I on the other hand have slowed down a bit but I still hunt 4-5 days a week for about 6-7 hours a trip. We have jumped between 600-700 Rabbit's a year for right around 20 years now. This year we killed 389 in those 2 states. That is hunting Kentucky from Nov 1- Jan 31 and Indiana thru the month of February.

Another thing I notice is if a farm has Rabbit's, it normally will always have Rabbit's. In those 25 years there are farms that I have hunted every year for 25 years and they normally produce around the same numbers YOY. They are just producers whether it be cover, lack of predators, food, or lack of pressure. We only hunt private land and of course I take care of my land owners in terms of catfish fillets, cleaned Rabbit, knives, gift cards, and watching their land for them (For the ones that are around me).

We only hunt a farm once a year as to keep pressure down. I KNOCK ALOT OF DOORS AND TALK TO ALOT OF FARMERS ALMOST EVERY TIME I LEAVE THE HOUSE. It drives my wife crazy but to give you an example I have picked up 3 additional farms to hunt in the past 2 weeks. I can and will start a thread soon on how you can become successful at gaining permission to hunt private land. I have made the offer to spend a day with anyone that would like to learn how to start those conversations or how to gain access. It's a skill and it can be learned. I cringe when I hear people say that they have lost all their spots and have no where to hunt. If that is the case Gentleman, I can help.

Will- I was not referencing you in regards to your title about population. I was talking about specific buddies that I have. Lol just wanted to clarify.
CCK: Do you have much deer leasing in your area? That’s what is taking away all the private land here. Any landowner with very many acres and good cover near me probably has been approached by deer/turkey hunters for leasing. And after it’s leased, they don’t want hounds on it. Maybe different where you are? I know in central KY there are not as many deer, so less leasing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
CCK: Do you have much deer leasing in your area? That’s what is taking away all the private land here. Any landowner with very many acres and good cover near me probably has been approached by deer/turkey hunters for leasing. And after it’s leased, they don’t want hounds on it. Maybe different where you are? I know in central KY there are not as many deer, so less leasing.
We are a Zone 1 in the Eastern part of the state. The deer population is thick as well as leasing. There are quite a few out of state land owners that have their farms to deer hunt, which benefits us in terms of helping them keep an eye on it for Rabbit running and hunting rights.

I notice it says that you are in S.E Ohio, I may not be to far from you, I can be across the Maysville bridge and into Adams County in about 40 minutes.

Now my farm in Indiana is absolutely surrounded with serious deer hunters, everything is leased or bought to hunt. However, deer season ends around Jan 6th each year and Rabbit season runs thru the end of Feb (I think Ohio's does as well). With that being said, I can normally knock on 3-5 doors and get about 2-3 farms to hunt. I try to make a day of it every time I'm in Indiana, even if I'm hunting I will bang on some doors before I leave the area. It's a 2.5 hour drive between the farm I live on and the one in Indiana.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
We are a Zone 1 in the Eastern part of the state. The deer population is thick as well as leasing. There are quite a few out of state land owners that have their farms to deer hunt, which benefits us in terms of helping them keep an eye on it for Rabbit running and hunting rights.

I notice it says that you are in S.E Ohio, I may not be to far from you, I can be across the Maysville bridge and into Adams County in about 40 minutes.

Now my farm in Indiana is absolutely surrounded with serious deer hunters, everything is leased or bought to hunt. However, deer season ends around Jan 6th each year and Rabbit season runs thru the end of Feb (I think Ohio's does as well). With that being said, I can normally knock on 3-5 doors and get about 2-3 farms to hunt. I try to make a day of it every time I'm in Indiana, even if I'm hunting I will bang on some doors before I leave the area. It's a 2.5 hour drive between the farm I live on and the one in Indiana.
Yes, I came through Maysville the other day on the way back from a dog breeding trip to central KY. We are probably 90 mins from Maysville, maybe more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts