Rabbit feeders

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by 12Gauge, Feb 28, 2010.

1. 12Gauge

12Gauge Active Member

Will it keep rabbits close if you put out a feeder? Thought it may be a quick run after work to get young dogs some training, or would it be a waste of time,anyone ever tried using a feeder?

2. ChrisHornick

ChrisHornick New Member

I have feeders out and have for 10 years or so. The problem here in PA is that at this time of the year, the rabbits are nocturnal so they only hit the feeders at night. I still feed them to keep them healthy and to help bring them through the winter months and I always have plenty of little ones in the spring. I use corn and also put salt blocks out.

3. cdp

cdp New Member

i put them oui feed apples and timothy. also put out salt blocks. it has helped keep the rabbits around i get out early in the morning i can catch the rabbits sitting close to the feeder

4. How are your feeders set up? I have a big field, about 45 acres I run in and been trying to set it up for rabbits. Mixed native grasses alot of cattails some paths mowed,pushed treedown etc. Would like to put some feeders out. Do you just put anywhere and the rabbits find them or what. Last spring I just threw alot of small salt blocks out in thickets every where.Would also like to plant some feed strips.Any advice or pictures would be appreciated. Thanks Mitch DeVore

5. ChrisHornick

ChrisHornick New Member

My feeders are in the thickest cover I have. I don't want one of my bunnies getting picked off going into or out of one of my feeders. Also they will chase each other out. The more cover the better.

6. RKW

RKW Active Member

Cecil I was thinking about rabbit feeders myself. If you put some out let me know how they work out for you. Some people I talked to said they had a hard time keeping rodents out of them. I don't guess I mind feeding a few rodents if the rabbits use it more. Maybe there is some type of feeder that only rabbits can get into. I do know that I'm going to put out some salt in the thickets for them.

Roger

7. 12Gauge

12Gauge Active Member

I put two out Sunday afternoon, went to look at them Wednesday, big rabbit ran off from it when I walked up. Has been alot of action around it can tell some of it was done by coons. I wonder if they will fool with them if you only use rabbit pellets, looks like they are going for the corn.

8. RKW

RKW Active Member

Cecil what kind of feeders are you using?

Roger

9. ChrisHornick

ChrisHornick New Member

I only feed in the winter and I'm sure the rodents are getting their share. Biggest thing here in PA are the squirrels. I tried pellets but rabbits were hitting the bird feeders before the pellets so I went to corn & bird seed

10. 12Gauge

12Gauge Active Member

I made mine a few years back for coon, they are made out of 5 gal buckets. I cut the bottom out, made a funnel to fit bucket, the added supports and placed bottom back on bucket.I added wire around sides to keep deer out.