Question on training a pup to stand for bench show

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by T.Hatcher, Oct 16, 2020.

1. T.Hatcher

T.Hatcher Well-Known Member

Not sure if I'm saying this right. But how do y'all guys/gals train you pups/dogs to stand (pose) on the bench like at the field trials? I have a 3 month old I got from Mr. Will & he is so full of energy I have to let him out & run it off before I even can try to get him to stand still for a second. When I do get him up he will only stand for a few seconds. I tried giving him treats but then he only wants to look for more of them. I try to do it once or twice every time I have him out.

2. Redtick

Redtick Active Member

He is way too young to expect much on learning to stand on the bench.

3. TJRANGER

TJRANGER Super Moderator Staff Member

Arkansas
    That, Drakes pup was that way. It took a lot of work and patience. One trick is to use a barrel for them to stand on. They will be still better and put more trust in you to keep them from falling off.

4. T.Hatcher

Thanks Tj. I'll try it.

5. T.Hatcher

Redtick, he is full of himself. Just trying to do a little at a time no rush for sure.

6. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

michigan
    If he is not paying attention put him on his side so he can’t get up, put your hand on his neck an lightly squeeze and growl at him. That’s what the mom would do. He will try to fight you, make sure he doesn’t get up, once he relaxes let him up and stand him like you want. Eventually he will understand and he will know that’s what you want. You are the Alpha dog! Good luck!

7. Gene Fedor

Gene Fedor Well-Known Member

nj
    The barrel thing works wonders. I never did it myself with the hounds. But my buddy did this all the time with his bird dogs to hold on point, they learn to stay still on barrel or they fall off.

He is still young, give basic commands for now, it will help him in the future

8. TJRANGER

Arkansas
    Gene that’s where I learned on barrels, training bird dogs and decided to try on my beagles and it worked great

9. T.Hatcher

Thanks for the input foxes.

Marshall Rowley and Circle4p like this.
  10. T.Hatcher

He is doing good on here when I call him. Sit working on down when I want to catch him. He is good on the leash also. I know he is just a pup so not trying to push but I like a good handling dog.

11. TJRANGER

Arkansas
    Good handling dogs just make it more enjoyable!!

12. 10ACbeagler

10ACbeagler Well-Known Member

TN
    With young dogs or pups I think it has a lot to do with repitition and their energy level so you're probably on the right track with letting him burn some energy before attempting to work with him and keeping the lessons short. If he let's you do it for a few seconds it will probably get better as he gets older and calmer.

This was a pup from a litter I raised out of my dog Sugar. He was a really calm dog that would let you pose him up from day one. He actually won a couple of bench shows as a young dog. He could run a rabbit even better than he looked. Sug was a looker herself but she wouldn't stand for long periods. Her name was Sugar Rush due to how hyper she was. 20180825_172957.jpg

20201006_153700.jpg

13. T.Hatcher

Sweet, & good looking pup!

14. T.Hatcher

He is getting better. But he was out for a hour or so.

15. Donnie Tew

Donnie Tew Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sometimes ya just need the right little girl!

16. T.Hatcher

That is great Donnie !!!

17. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

michigan
    Another thing is change the repetition and area where you do it. Go and walk somewhere stop and call and stand him up. That way he has not idea when it will happen.