Rabbit Dogs banner

Question on breeding

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Kmefford23 
#1 ·
So I’ve seen a lot of guys say that if I’m going to breed my male i need to find A female with similar traits or pedigree and go from there. Well i was sorta wanting to try get A female that had the qualities that my male was missing. Would it be A bad idea to go with A completely different female but one that i like? I love the way my dog hunts he just has A couple flaws that i would like to try and get out of his pups. I’m guessing that some would end up running like the mom and some the dad is that why it’s suggested to just stick with A similar dog?

#2 ·
More than likely if a dog has a flaw it will show in the pups.... now if your trying to add more nose or foot or better hunt you might get lucky breeding to a dog with better nose more hunt or more foot... but for the most part if a dog has faults it will be passed to the pups.... funny how the faults pass on so easily...put the talents that the parents do have aren’t as easily obtained.... if you did breed two different style dogs you may want to start and evaluate all the pups to see what ones inherited the qualities you were trying to duplicate... some pups will inherit the sires ability and some will inherit the dams abilities but maybe only 1-2 will have the qualities you are looking to achieve by crossing the 2 different styles or qualities.... just my 2 cents.... however if you have two very similar style dogs with the same qualities it should be easier to obtain this in the pups.... with that being said if you were to breed 2 perfect dogs the best you could hope for is a couple decent pups... I wish breeding was as easy as making a cake just put in the ingredients and you get what you want but it never seems to work like that.....again just my 2 cents

#4 ·
Look for a dog with similar traits but also traits where the other dogs doesn't have them. When you have traits that you truly like in a dog don't loose those traits by crossing on something totally different. When crossing or breeding you must decide what you want to do with the pups. If you want to field trial don't cross on a dog that is good to rabbit hunt with but has some faults/traits that would not go against the pups in trials. On the other hand, field trial dogs have some faults/traits that might not please you in gun hunting. Remember that a lot of traits that work one way may not works both ways. Dogs do not have the ability to reason. If you gun hunt one day and field trial the next your dog wont stop and try to reason what you want it to do. It will do what it has been bred (traits) to do.

#5 ·
There are few true families or strains in beagles today. People tend to want to jump around with their breedings, and it shows in today’s pedigrees. So often we see pedigrees where the sire and dam are completely unrelated, at least back for 5 generations or more. This makes the resulting litter more or less a crap shoot, as Bluetail was saying above.

Breeding good hounds takes time, sacrifice, knowledge, effort, and some expense. There are no reliable shortcuts to a lasting success. With your dog, if you like him well enough to breed him, your best course of action is to breed him to a mate who is from the same general family, but who is also strong in any qualities where he is lacking. Don’t expect one cross to improve everything, but you can make progress this way. It may take a few generations to get what you truly want, so selection is key. Also if you start with good solid hounds, it stands to reason the ultimate goal with be easier to reach.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.