Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't do it. Rabbits are full of tape worms and who knows what else. I used to hunt with a man that was right much older than me and he gutted the rabbit as soon as it was killed and let the dogs eat all of it. He save the heads for a dog he had named Fat Bud I've seen Bud eat 8 - 10 rabbit heads in one day. I couldn't believe he could still walk.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
I don’t do the guts per se, I will occasionally give flanks, kidneys and the heart. I usually do that at the end of the hunt when I’m dressing the rabbits and not too many. Don’t give the liver or anything other than what I mentioned.

My papaw did this with his rabbit dogs and did it with quail (feet/head) for his pointers.

Not saying it’s right or wrong. A lot of vets are against a raw diet too.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I’m the same as above. Kidney and heart are good for quick protein after a hunt but I don’t ever give the liver. Around here tularemia is pretty common. I even see white spots in winter so I always keep the liver From them. Never the intestines but each their own.
Tularemia can be serious.My maternal grandmother died from it before I was born.That was in the days before antibiotics.She must have been a very gracious lady.A few sports from town came to the farm to hunt rabbits and she got it from cleaning the bunnies for them.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I echo what all the other say about worms and sickness but to also add the fact that you will end up with a rabbit eating beagle after the kill. If the dog catches the rabbit it will eat it if you don’t get to him first.
True and most of the time you can’t break them from it.. Occasionally after a long hard hunt give them the Head as a reward or treat. Good friend of mine and very great house man it would give one or two of the older hounds do you head off to Rabbit nothing else.In my younger days they were in that have been fed anything of the rabbit if Caught the Rabbit first before you can get to it they would eat the rabbit fight over it.Can cause very serious harm to your hounds.I would advise not to feed them any part of the rabbit at all unless there’s a young pup that had just been starting may give her a head once or twice after a good hunt with in a few weeks apart..There is a disease that I’ll dolls can get from a rabbit if eaten there is no cure for it they announce will have a slow death.What is avast for my vet of the issue from my friend dial dad has passed away.And also had a hound that happened to one of the best that I had..

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
I used to always feed the liver heart kidneys right at the kill site. Still do some but don't kill near as many as we used to. I have one now and have had several others that would retrieve, it never seemed to make them want to eat them.
Agree I’ve never noticed them start eating rabbits because of that. Just my observations.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts