Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just about finished with the first bag of food that Choppers breeder reccommended. He seems to be doing pretty good on it,but I am looking at my options. They refered to this as a maintinance food. It is Bites and Bones from Tractor Supply. I see a lot of folks here using feed with a 2 number designation in the name. Can you all bring me up to speed with these? I don't have a problem using Bites and Bones,as long as I'm not missing out on a better food for an active dog. Thanks all,Rockdog.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
There's a thread on here someplace about dog foods. Maybe it will give you an idea of some of your options.

If I only had one or two dogs Id probably go with Pro Plan or something like that.

·
Registered
652 Posts
The numbers on dog feed tells the amount of fat and protein in the feed. The first number tells the protein the second tells the fat.I feel a quality feed is very important in the way a dog performs. Feed is, in my opinion no place to cut corners.

·
Super Moderator
3,515 Posts
As far as the Protien/Fat ratio goes:
Pups - 30/20
Summer running - 26/18
Winter/Hunting season - 24/20
Pups need lots of protien and fat to help them grow and have good muscle and bones. Summer time when adult dogs dont need as much do to heat and use, so a good maint. feed with at least 26/18 does good. Winter when the hounds are working hard and living in the cold they need more Fat in the diet so 24/20 does the trick for me. This is all just my opinion others may feel different.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts