Pup Training ?

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by RKW, Jan 27, 2010.

1. RKW

RKW Active Member

I have a pup about a year old that will go in and out of races which I know is normal but he is aggravating because he is a little mouthy in the wrong places and doesn't hark when he should. Sometimes he can't wait to go then he turns and comes back. Next time he may put in and run the soup out of the rabbit for a while, usually until the next check then he comes back. What really gets me is how indifferent he can be when the race may be no more than 10 yards from him and he refuses to hark. I wonder if he will come out of this or is he a cull? His age is the only reason I am still fooling with him. What would you suggest?

Roger

2. ninja turtle

ninja turtle New Member

I have had some young dogs that did this before. I have a good thicket right behind my house, and I would take them there, once they got to running and the young dog was with the older, I would leave and go back to my house without the young dog seeing me. then it either had to stay by itself or go with the other dogs. so far they have always chose the other dogs. If you have a good spot to try this, give it a try, it works for me. I think it just conditions the young dog to stay with the older dogs, and not me.

good luck.

3. RKW

RKW Active Member

I did what you are talking about but the pup heard the dogs at my house and went there. I may have to take them to my hunting lease and try to slip away from him where his only company would be the hounds that are running.

Roger

4. ninja turtle

ninja turtle New Member

ya i put bark collars on the dogs at my house to keep them from barking.

5. Had a pup like this one time. She would come back and want me to pet her and telll her what a great job she done. She finally grew out of it, I would just ignore her when she came back and pet the heck out of her once we killed the rabbit.