Rabbit Dogs banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Unfortune but I have missed the last couple of hunts due to medical issues. I fully intend to attend this year. I enjoyed Estill Springs (my dad actually went to grade school there in the 30's). For the kind of sucess we enjoyed there it takes a lot of luck and planning as finding spots to hunt is not easy. Wade knew everybody and had the capability of pulling this off. I know when I went to the hunt Saturday morning, I had no idea what was in store. Wade was dividing people up got to the end said the rest of you folks are going with Rick Watkins to his farm. I did not know if this was 1 person or 20. I had no idea and didn't know any of them until they got out of the trucks at the farm. Just follow him. Mater, Ruger, Circle 4 ,Otte, Tangi, and other who I cannot remember his name made the day fabulous. I had never run that many dogs but the 12 on the ground ran like they had been running together all their lives. Finding a place that can handle that many dogs is not easy and it sounds like KY has it going in the right direction.
I do want to get together with a smaller group and think that to make life easier for those trying to travel to Kentucky. I will have some folks stop by on the way to Ky and hunt at the farm. The original guys have first dibs. Can stay at my guest house. I think it would be about a 3 hour drive to KY site so Thursday morning would be our last hunt. Wives would certainly be invited ( there is privacy with the guest house having 2 complete baths).
Meeting the folks who have all been great ( think it is something about the love of the sport ) provides a face to the comments and seeing other folks dogs makes going to the hunt fantastic.

·
Registered
365 Posts
That is pretty much exactly the plan going forward with the annual hunt Reiny. Honestly I don't know how we could pack anymore running and fellowship into a weekend than we had last year. Other than setting a location I think the hunt is pretty much dialed in at this point.

What is still up in the air is our vision for the future. At times I feel like the guy who inherited this big kennel of dogs and is trying to continue it the way the original owner had envisioned it. Then half your running buddies say man you better slow them down. The others are saying boy they'd look good with a little more foot. What is a beagler to do?

Nobody wants to loose the good ol boy atmosphere at the get together. Without that what do we have? Nothing that I want to be a part of. Wade asked me to help make it grow, find a good safe place to run the hounds, and get the kids to show up. Maybe I'm kennel blind but I think we have seen huge strides in the right direction on all accounts.

In my opinion, and that of the committee, what Tom said above is exactly what we need to be looking into. I have already realized through litigation, both here and with the federations, it will be hard to make it work but we do have a good sum of money to help out in some way. Really what we need is someone on here to be our spokesman to bridge the gap between us and the federations.
Anyone up for the task?
If you guys will give me the vision you want, I’d do it...but only if everyone agrees that I should.... and I’ll help get the sponsor dollars...just give me the direction..,, I know how to run my flapper😂

let me rephrase that Vance, I’ll help anyway you need me to or see fit...this is possibly more your vision than anyone’s so maybe you need to be the spokesperson...

But I’ll help you guys do whatever you need me to..,starting with me and my wife pledging our sponsor money the next two years for Junior Handlers

·
Super Moderator
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Sipsey, that is part of the issue I'm having. Right now it does seem like MY vision. I want and need it to be OUR decision as to what our next step is, as in the the entire group, not just one person.

Between planning for the hunt, doing the raffles, and raising a family I'm spread pretty thin. Plus if we are going to work with H&H and a club or federation then we need someone who is already connected to them in some way.

·
Super Moderator
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
We have all agreed that handing over that much money and saying do with it what you want isn't gonna work. Luckily Sipsey Creek has stepped up to the plate and is gonna reach out to a few people to see what we can get done.

I can't say this in enough ways. What we are doing with the junior handler thing WILL NOT effect the actual get together, I'm sorry if that has lead to any confusion. It is a totally different venture and I promise the hunt is top priority.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
6,397 Posts
What people don’t know about the first get together there was a lot of planning co ordination and expenses ~~ Mr Wade and a few others took care of behind the scenes
Mostly MrWade
Raising money is necessary for it to continue. We must have a purpose other than a few old farts getting together. If we don’t have a goal nobody will donate or support

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
What people don’t know about the first get together there was a lot of planning co ordination and expenses ~~ Mr Wade and a few others took care of behind the scenes
Mostly MrWade
Raising money is necessary for it to continue. We must have a purpose other than a few old farts getting together. If we don’t have a goal nobody will donate or support
I get what your saying.Wade definitely made the first two hunts happen.He made it simple for us old farts.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
6,397 Posts
That sounds simple enuff.The hard part will be getting there.The first two were in my neighborhood.That sure enuff made it simple.
That sounds simple enuff.The hard part will be getting there.The first two were in my neighborhood.That sure enuff made it simple.
make it to marshal county and you can ride over with me

·
Registered
365 Posts
Mostly MrWade
I’d imagine there’s a good deal of work, planning, and expense involved for everyone to enjoy themselves

41 - 60 of 63 Posts