Rabbit Dogs banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Foxy the only reason birds have survived is that there's a very large overgrown field that the neighbor owns but hasn't farmed in many years. I saw 3 different hens with young this year while cutting grass. It's been a long time since that many were seen. We used to see Bob whites all the time but they seem to have declined. Dad also raised some of them. Quail were actually surprisingly easy to raise
Very interesting. We never had pheasants where I live in Ohio, but used to have a lot of quail. I thought they were gone, but we had them calling around this spring. They are predicting another mild winter, so maybe the quail will continue to come back.

The pen pheasants that my friend raises are pretty wild, the Roosters will run and fly like a wild bird. Joe has a very large flight pen so the birds do get to fly in the pen. He has minimal human contact with the birds. I have hunted the quail and at times you had to kick at them so they would fly. When they flew it was always low and for a short distance. That is why I hunt the pheasants.
Here in Michigan there are pockets of wild pheasants, getting access is tough because of the bow hunters. Michigan has implemented a Pheasant program to release birds at different time and days on state land. You have to have a base license and get the Pheasant Stamp to hunt on state land. I have not tried it, thinking about trying to get my dog into birds. JMHO
Foxxy, went to Rose lake in the afternoon of the opener and couldnt believe how many hunters were out there. even saw 3 campers parked out there with guys making a trip outta it. the fields were all trampled down like a dang army came through there. We even ran into a guy who had a german shepard/laberdoodle mix out there on a lead just walking around. It seems the secret is out and I prolly wont have as good a time out there as i had in 2019. Maybe ill just wait and hunt days when the weather is awful.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
That was my fear as well, I am hesitant in buying a pheasant stamp. The state land will be pounded hard on the weekends, if I choose to go I will hunt during the week, hopefully most guys are working.
Garrett- as a kid we had farm dogs, Dusty our Collie was a fantastic bird dog. We also had a Shetland Sheep Dog that was down right a pheasant machine. JMHO 👍 🐔:) My neighbor used a Elkhound who was a good bird dog as well.

The only problem was you better be ready to run as both were flushers, I do not know how many times I tripped over ant hills or stepped into a dead furrow or hole. The last time I did step into a hole I hyperextended my right knee and had to have ACL surgery. My left knee has been operated on 4 times arthroscopically. The Pointing dogs suit me just fine now.
Problem will be people will find out the planting days of pheasants and take advantage hunting it. Pretty Selfish if you ask me. JMHO

Discussion starter · #24 ·
The guys I went with to pheasant were talking about their high priced shotguns, doubles barrel or semi-automatics. I hunt with a double barrel O/U Stoeger or Mossburg 9200 semi auto, both 12 gauges. Frank stated his high priced gun would never come out into the field, he uses it for sporting clays and trap shooting. I laughed and said if I had that high priced gun I would hunt with it. He stated, along with his buddies those guns will never be used to hunt with.
I also asked if they have a back up gun in case the one they are using breaks. They all said NO.
What are your thoughts about not using your pretty gun? Back up gun? Just wondering. JMHO 🐶 🐔 👍 :oops:

I don't own any guns that I don't hunt with other than carry guns. My brother used to have a few that Dad and I referred to as " the safe Queens" because he rarely took them out of the safe and used them. I'm just too cheap for owning guns I don't use.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.