Patch Bloodline?

Discussion in 'Breeding, Bloodlines, and Pedigrees' started by woodleaf, Mar 14, 2010.

1. woodleaf

woodleaf Member

I have seen a litttle about a lot of different bloodlines, but I have never seen any patch dogs in real life. Does anybody have any first hand experience? Are they rabbit or hare dogs?

2. Bglenut

Bglenut New Member

They can be both Rabbit Hounds and Hare hounds. - Most of that bloodline runs with more drive and movement on the line.

3. ninja turtle

ninja turtle New Member

I have owned two full blood patch hounds. One turned out to be a deer dog and the other was a really good rabbit dog. the one thing i did not like was they were turned a little funny. They were just plain weird. The guy that i got them from has a whole pack that can scream on a rabbit. I think they make better swamp rabbit dogs than cottontail. In my opinion, patch dogs are made to run the front of the pack, blackcreeks are made to run the back of the pack and I want something in the middle.

4. woodleaf

woodleaf Member

Why do you say blackcreeks are made to run the middle? Just curious as Im not that familiar with blackcreeks either. I hear a lot of good things about them and would like to get into them if possible.

5. I have seen a couple of patch dogs run in the past. The dogs I seen run were arha little pack type dogs. They were fast and not real conservative. They were rough running dogs. They wanted to run the rabbit like a dog would run a deer. They ran so hard and rough with no gears and made several mistakes because they couldn't slow down. They hooked, skirted, overrun and was wild and crazy. I'm not saying they are all like that but the the ones that I seen were.

6. ninja turtle

ninja turtle New Member

Woodleaf, what i meant by blackcreeks are made to run the back is they are a slower breed of dog. don't confuse that with their quality, because they are good dogs. Its just that most of the ones i have had and seen run were slower than what i call a medium speed dog. If i was going to have blackcreeks, i would have all blackcreeks, just like if I was going to have patch dogs i would have all patch dogs. I can assure you, they won't mix. I guess my point was some dogs are slower, and some are burners, and the patch are deffinately burners.

7. woodleaf

woodleaf Member

Thanks for the explanation. I don't have or probably want to have patch type dogs. I have Pro and blackjack dogs now, but I hear a lot of great things about blackcreeks and would love to try some down the road. Are they similar style of running to what I have?

8. Crofford

Crofford New Member

They will probably be a little slower I am running a couple of pro dogs and I have run a few different blackcreeks, they have all been a little slower.

9. plumber

plumber Active Member

I would say for sure try them blackcreek out. You will not find alot of head bangers in them, as they are content to slot up and run were they will. But when them other hounds run over it, they will most of the times cut them to pieces:D. I have seen a few that were too slow, you just have to get them from good stock. I run upper medium speed. If you put together a good pack of blackcreeks that can push a rabbit, it doesnt get any better in my book:thumb:. I for sure wouldnt buy one and throw him in a pack of fast head bangers, you wont be happy:up:

10. Crofford

Crofford New Member

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to put down blackcreeks when I say they will probably be a little bit slower I'm just speaking from what I have personally seen with my dogs.I run medium speed no wind splitters or headbangers just good medium speed dogs.I have run a few different blackcreeks with mine and they have all been just a little bit slower.One thing I will say about blackcreeks is I have been very impressed with how hard they hunt I haven't personally seen one yet that didn't hunt hard.I have a young blackcreek male right now he is a little slower than my other dogs but hunts really good I am considering breeding him to a little female I have that is an extremely hard hunter just a step faster than the blackcreek male I think it may make a good cross only one way to find out.:up:

11. plumber

plumber Active Member

Keep us updated on how that cross works out. I have never crossed any of mine, but have been told they sure cross well with other blood, you see alot of people doing it.

12. woodleaf

woodleaf Member

Thats the reason I would like to try some blackcreek is hunt. I had one, and sold him because he had too much mouth for me. I did hunt well and I think he will make a good dog. I just had another young dog I wanted to work with and couldnt give him enough time. He wasnt too slow for me, just about right. I plan on trying more blackcreek down the road if i get a chance. I am interested to see how they stack against my pro / blackjack stuff.