Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I JUST REQUIRED 2 BEAGLES, 1 FEMALE & 1 MALE BY THE PASSING OF BEST
FRIEND. BOTH DOGS WILL RUN BUT BY THEM SELVES. THEY WILL NOT PACK WITH MY DOGS. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN TRY:headscratch:

·
Registered
908 Posts
By saying they will run by themselves, I assume they will run with each other but not strange pack mates. I would separate them from each other and kennel them with some of your hounds so as to let them get accustomed to them. Then I would take 1 of them with 1 of yours and let them start a rabbit. If they will run together feed in new pack mates slowly til the new one isn't bailing out of the race. Then I would repeat the process with the other new one. They may not trust your pack yet as they probably have only ran with each other.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Perfect advice,
Make sure to run them with a dog about the same speed
and make sure you can trust the dog. Use your most trustworth honds if possible.

Keep the two new dogs seperated and paired with one of your dogs at all times.
Just like kids at a new school, they will get there.

If the dogs you aquired are grieving you may want to wait a little before you start.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Keep the new dog with one of your dogs. They will figure it out. It will take a little time.

You may want to let the new dog jump then let your dog go to it a couple of times. Time and keeping them together will fix the problem. The problem is not that uncommon.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That is good advice from Rosco you also might try letting your dogs run and putting the new ones on a leash and let them hear the dogs run and not let them off

·
Registered
508 Posts
I acquired a set of dogs the same way and they wouldn't pack or hunt with my dogs at first. I seperated them from each other, put them each with two of my other dogs and ran them. After about three weeks I started running all six together and they were fine. I had them for eight years the oldest was twelve and she died of old age this spring. Her daughter was lost in a wind storm and never found. In that area I would guess someone picked her up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts