Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i realize this is primarily a beagling site, but the name is "Rabbit Dogs.net"....
so, i'm just curious...anyone have any experience hunting with the other breeds of "rabbit dogs"? I know of people using Harriers,Bassets and even dachsunds...any crosses youve hunted with?

·
Registered
172 Posts
When i was a teenager I was given a pup by a neighbor that was 3/4 beagle and 1/4 fiest that was bar none the best jump dog i have ever owned and only seen a couple of others that were as good. He jumped a lot of rabbits but really couldnt run them that good

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as a kid, my uncle gave me pup, a beagle/running walker cross he bred for deer runnin. we ran rabbits with her and boy could she run! sounded great too:D

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
i have a friend i hunt with that has a couple beagle and cocker spaniel cross dogs that can absolutley pound a rabbit back to the gun

·
Banned
469 Posts
When I was a kid we had a cocker spanial that would run the hair off a rabbit he would squirrel hunt with me to.He was a great little dog got run over though seems like something bad always happens to the good one and they die way to young.Ninja Turtle used to have a beagle/fiest that was one heck of a jump dog he could run them to that dog was a pro at catching rabbits also seemed like he caught one almost every time we went.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I once had a shepard that squirrels hated to see,
He was fast on the track and really could tree;

But whenever a Swamper he started to smell,
He would open on track and run it like hell;

A machine gun mouth that cut through the cold,
and speed so fast it was caught or was holed.

Don't even think about getting a shot,
There won't be a circle the race is too hot;

The shepard I had was as good as could be'
But better for you than an owner like me.

Roger

PS. I really had this dog

·
Super Moderator
1,989 Posts
I use to raise Bassets for pets, they are great with kids. Some would run rabbits. They were fast and hunted hard too, not slow like I thought they would be! Even saw one try to take down a half grown goat! They are very laid back untill they smell game.

·
Registered
508 Posts
GrandPa used to have a basset hound that would burn a rabbit up. He Was fast and very seldom lost a rabbit, big bawl mouth and as hard headed as a stump.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a bassett I am working with now only ran her a few times this past season she is just shy of a yr. she deff has the nose hard headed lil cuss. but is starting to come along nicely. and keeps a pretty steady pace with my beagles too. atleast this is one "puppy" my wife wanted that I can do something with as a dog. lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had a lot of opinions (usually not favorable) about running my son's fiest with my beagle. I tend to agree in many respects. but, the fiest is one fast dog. He's the one that first introduced my beagle to a rabbit (and later to hares). Unfortunately, since he is a squirrel dog first and foremost, he also has introduced the 'tree rats' to my beagle :banghead: The one thing that helped me to gage whether my dog can be a fast one is when I see him keeping up with the fiest. Soon the fiest will be gone, and except during winter hare hunting when they will still run together, my beagle will be soloing (accept when he can run with some of the packs that I'm hoping to have him working with). There is no question however, that fiests can perform amazingly when on to c.tails and hare :wink:

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
When I was a kid I had a dachshund that dad would some time run with his beagles. He would run deer too. He was semi silent but would open every once in a while. My wife now raises dachshunds. After I get my starting pen finished I am going to start some of them just for grins and giggles.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
My first rabbit dog was a fox terrier mix, that showed up at my dads house when I was about 14. We lived on a horseshoe road way out in the sticks, and folks were always dropping off dogs, and cats for that matter, and it was my job to take a .22 to them. Always hated that, but hey, we couldn't feed all of them if we didn't. Anyway, when I see this dog, I begged and begged until he let me try and make a squirrel dog out of her. Man o' man, did she ever. Would tree squirrels like you wouldn't believe, and jump a rabbit like nobody's business. One big problem, she NEVER barked. Almost like she was mute. I'll never forget meeting up with some rabbit hunters one day with a pack of beagles, and they literaly laughed when they seen my dog. Out loud, I might add. Didn't take but a few minutes, and everybody was hollering "jump 'em up Joe Joe"

·
Registered
134 Posts
There is an older gentleman that I used to hunt with alot when I was younge that used to trade dogs all the time. Guess it was a hobby to him. He would have a good pair one week, then trade them for culls next week. We went one day and he had a pair of females that were atleast 1/2 fiest, maybe more. I was thinking to myself, lord these dogs probably don't even know what a rabbit is. At the end of the day, with 9 rabbits in the bag, I was a beleiver. They were some of the hardest hunting and grittiest dogs I have ever seen. They were very fast, but would bring the rabbit to the gun every time. I am sure they got traded off to!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've got three treeing walkers that we raised to run hogs that can flat smoke a rabbit, people talk about racoon hound mouths on their dogs well I got them. Pretty good hunt also.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts