Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about ordering a new dog box. What does everyone think, top storage or no top storage? I had one several years ago that had top storage but I hardly ever put anything in it. When I did it bounced to the middle of the box and I couldn't reach it anyway. Just looking for some pros and cons.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm thinking about ordering a new dog box. What does everyone think, top storage or no top storage? I had one several years ago that had top storage but I hardly ever put anything in it. When I did it bounced to the middle of the box and I co
uldn't reach it anyway. Just looking for some pros and con I have both if your hunting local it doesn't help much to have top storage .but I travel out of town I think its handy to have my stuff close to the dogs

·
Super Moderator
5,985 Posts
I love my top storage. I carry lots of hunting supplies like shells, vest, pair of dry socks, shoes to travel home in, first aid kit, cleaning board, ziplocks, extra collars, shocking collars, leads, etc. wouldn’t have one without. I have a 3hole and I also love it to be able to separate dogs, especially when someone with other dogs goes with you. Also after a long day dogs are grouchy and want to have room and curl up and sleep.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I love the Owens with top storage. I’ve had the Heritage boxes made of wood and covered in colored aluminum and they lasted about 10 or so years, but all aluminum is the way to go. Usually right after deer season a lot become available on Speeddogs.net, and you can save some major $$. Especially the young boys who buy everything for a particular season and turn around and sell it after the season. Cash talks to them...😂😂JMO

·
Registered
75 Posts
Got to have storage for me. Have a little 4 wheel drive Sonoma with a box as big as my bed as you know but I keep everything up top. Truck is a beagling/hunting truck only. Neither the truck or the box look great, but I wouldn’t trade them for anything. The box stays in the truck year round because it takes a crane to load and unload lol.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I have a dog box DEE ZEE bought new that is 30 years old, 2 door aluminum with out top storage. I always wanted to get another one but this one has been used and abused and keeps on going. New I paid $160.00 for it. I can't justify spending 500.00-800.00 for another when this works.
I carry extra clothes in a large duffle bag, shells, collars in another bag. Boots I tie laces together and throw into the truck bed.
My truck has an fiberglass cap over the bed. I have windows on both side doors with 2 latches that allow me to put duffle bags in the bed. With the side doors on the cap I never needed the storage on the dog box.
I would never have a cap on the bed with out side doors, I am too old to be crawling over the dog box. JMO

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have old wood frame aluminum skinned with top storage and would not be without storage. Fiberglass cap on truck and home made step that slides into hitch on truck so I can step up onto tailgate to reach inside top storage for all the junk that I keep in there. I like the owens boxes but man they are pricey, maybe one day

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like the general consensus is top storage! I'm still up in the air on it. I only have to go 2-12 miles for al the hunting I do. I have a 4 door trunk that the back seat is full of everything I need. The biggest problem with the top storage that I can see is the box is too tall! I don't like it to be higher than the bed sides. I don't **** hunt so I don't need a tall box. Just a quirk I guess.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I only have beagles and most of my hunting is on public land relatively close to the house. I have a 2 door diamond plate box that is only 20.5 in tall so my tri fold bed cover closes and people can't steal it out of the back of the truck. Also keeps aloft of wind off the dogs too. It is big enough to haul 4 to 6 beagles easily. My was made bY TSC but DeeZee is making one similar now.
20201230_073209.jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
The storage is really handy to have. I have a box with a small storage box built in that I access from the front (in between the dog doors). I keep extra collars, leads and misc stuff in it. It's not big but its handle. I don't use the box often because it is so heavy and hard to load. My favorite box is still my Easy Loader because I only put the dog box in when I go hunting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts