Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
It takes a beagle that can run in all conditions, walk across ice on a rabbit, swim across a creek, run down the same runways 4-5 times, over and over. Does not over run their nose, be able to cold trail, and figure out all the tricks a rabbit has pulled on them. If you get a well bred dogs things should work out. Speed also is a choice, too fast, trouble happens.
I have had Patch and Branko dogs who could run on the line, walk across ice and figure the tricks the rabbit makes. They hammered snow shoe hare, a lot of air scent yet could slow down when needed. They did well in trials as well. But I was not going to trial them full time, just would use for hunting.
I had cottontail dogs who could do the same thing as the Patch and Branko dogs , but ran much slower.

The dog must be well bred, with constant running, running and running, plus having much patience. I have one Chicken bred slow/medium female that I am using to help educate my young Patch female and male pup. I am also getting another Patch pup and I want them to hopefully run with control and confidence. I believe with these dogs it will happen this coming year and by fall of next year. They have a lot of hunt to run a rabbit, but do not know how to run a rabbit. Need tracks and use their ability to do it right. I only have hunting dogs, so these dogs for trialing not yet. I will wait 2-4 years before I will think of going to a trial, or at all.
At my age starting over with Patch hounds will be a challenge that I am looking forward to. Each dog will need to be soloed and I like running 3 together. Its going to be time, time , time and constant repetitions for these dogs.

I have my fingers crossed. JMO

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think alot of bloodlines have the nose to run cottontail in extreme conditions but dont have the gears for it. I've had my best luck with hare blood crossed on to medium speed bloodlines. Everyone's hunting situation is different though. I need a dog that doesn't hang up in the check area & and can roll with it when they can to consistently kill rabbits in areas I hunt. I rarely hunt with more than one dog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts