Odd Color Beagle

Discussion in 'Breeding, Bloodlines, and Pedigrees' started by salzer mtn, Feb 13, 2010.

1. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Active Member

AKC registers them as blue,brown and white. Does anyone know what colors to cross to get this blue color.

2. Jeff Gammon

Jeff Gammon Active Member

I know in some breeds blue is a recessive color. Which means possibly any color that is dominate to it could carry it. This does not mean any dominate color will carry it. To get blue yo would have to have 2 recessive genes hit at once in 2 dogs that were not blue. Or you could breed 2 blue dogs and because all they have is the recessive gene all pups would be blue. Hopes this makes sense. If it don't just say so and I will try again.

3. so if I breed a blue dog to a blue dog, they will all be blue? And if you breed a blue dog to a tri color none will be blue? :headscratch:

4. Jeff Gammon

The pup will get one gene for color from each parent. Some colors are domonant and some are recessive. You can carry a recessive gene (blue color) but cant carry a dominant geneIf the tri color carries blue, every time the tri throws a blue gene the pup will be blue when bred to a blue dog. For the tri to carry blue it has to have an ancestor that was blue, but just because the tri has an ancestor that was blue doesn't mean the tri will carry. The tri will indeed carry if he had one blue parent, because the blue parent only had blue genes to throw. If the parent had one blue and one of another color the parent whould have been the other color. I know it sounds like I am talking in riddles, but it takes a while to begin to get where you can understand this. I am no expert on this topic, and just barley understand a little of it myself. My wife breeds dachshunds and we have spent quite a bit of time researching this topic. If you have any more questions I would be glad to try to answer them. I hope I am not just muddying the water for you.

5. Yeah, you got me straight, along with the diagram of "x" and "y" that my wife drawed out on paper for me. :thumb:

6. blue tick x blue tick= 9 blue tick pups
    blue tick x blue tick-black and tan= tri colors and maybe a blue tick or two
    blue tick - lemon x blue tick-tri color= a blue tick in a blue moon

Anybody got a good blue tick female? I been going at it all wrong.:banghead:

7. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Active Member

Ok, i bought a female beagle that is blue. Her mother, which was a tri-color had 8 pup's 5 of them were blue; the dad of the pups was also a tri-color The breeder knew that both parents carried the recessive gene for blue. So my question is now, does my blue female have both dominant and recessive genes for blue.

8. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Active Member

Jeff, i re-read your post and you said that you could breed two blue's together and get all blue's because all they have is the recessive gene. I was taught that people or animals in this case, always have a dominant and recessive gene in everything like hair color, eye color ect. and the one that showes itself would be the dominant gene. So is deluted colors always a recessive gene and never a dominant gene although they show themselves ?

9. Jeff Gammon

In the case of the blue colored dog, all they have is recessive genes (2 Blue genes) one from mom and one from dad. So they dont have a dominant gene. So they show for blue. Here we are not talking about blue ticks, but blue colored beagles. Some people call them mouse colored. If they do have a gene for color that is dominant to the blue gene they will show for that color examlpe = one blue gene from sire, one black and tan gene from dam = black and tan dog that carries for blue. If you breed the dog in the example to a blue dog you have a chance to get some blue pups (every time the black/tn dog throws the blue gene) because the pup will get one blue from each parent. You may verry well get some blk/tn pups (when the blk/tn throws the blk/tn gene the pup will be blk/tn because that gene is dominant to blue) but this pup will be a carrier for blue

10. Jeff Gammon

You can have 2 recessive genes. If you do have 2 recessive (blue gene for color) that is the color the dog will be. If you have one recessive (blue) one dominant (blk/tan) the dog will be the color of the dominant gene, in this case blk/tn. So for a dog to be blue he has to have only recessive genes for color, or else he would be another color. In the case of the blue colored dog I am not talking about blue ticks, but a blue dog. Some folks call this mouse color in beagles. It is more of a grayish blue color, and may or may not have tan points. Ticking is a patern not a color, example, you can have tan, or black ticking. Ticking is a whole other set of genes. All your blue female has is 2 blue genes, both of which are recessive. If you breed her to a male dog that doesn't carry blue you will get no blue pups, but the sire will determine the color for the pups. All pups may not be the same color as the sire if he carries a gene for another color

11. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Active Member

Several years ago i saw a blue beagle (blue,tan,white) (not bluetick) The blue saddle on her was sky blue. The man that owned them also had some red blankets with him (red,white) he told me that when he bred for the color blue, they would either come blue,tan and white or red and white. I later bought a blue male from him and bred him to a red and white female that was no relation at all to his dogs and when she had pups half were blue/tan/white and half were red/white. Up until i bought my blue/tan/white female out of parents that were tri-color i had always believed that the red color had to be involved. htpp://clubs.akc.org/NBC/dilute_colored_beagleshtm

12. salzer mtn..i hear Blubeagle is wanting to run hounds with you,do you have a phone number he can reach you at?? TY

13. a bluetick bred to a bluetick does not mean all pups will be blue. We bred 2 blueticks together and only 2 pups out of 10 were blueticks.

14. Ken James

Ken James Active Member

MS.
    This is true that blue with blue does not necessarily make blue . Every so often that old recessive gene jumps in there. I keep mainly L/W or Red/White and breed only that way. Last year I got a blue pup. I went back six generations and found a blue male in the line. Sure surprised me to see a blue tick in that bunch of light colored pups.

15. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Active Member

Well the female (blue/tan/ white) is having pup's right now. so far she has had two, blue/tan/white and one the color of the dad (Oakhill bluetick,top & bottom) looks like she will have 7 or 8.

16. Jeff Gammon

Does the Sire have any blue ancestors?

17. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Active Member

No, I have a 7 generation pedigree on him and it's bluetick all the way back to the ark.

18. Jeff Gammon

Keep us posted on the colors. This has just blown everything I thought I knew out of the water

19. Anybody have a pic of these blue dogs?

20. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Active Member

I have one on the picture section. Her dad and mom were tri-color, but both dogs had the recessive gene for blue/tan/white. This color is a diluted gene of tri-color according to akc. She had 6 pups in total, 3 lighter color like her and 3 blacker color. I hope the 3 lighter color stay light but we will see. The mother also has a lot of ticking on her, can't hardly see it in the picture of her but if the light pups have as much ticking as their dad that would be odd.