Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bred my female. New to the whole breeding program. What is best for me to give her throughout her pregnacY. To help her and the puppies.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Do not over feed her.....continue with regular quality dry feed....some exercise but don't over do it ....let up on exercise late in pregnancy....be sure she is in whelping area 10 days early.....

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Briar.
Like harp said. Do not overfeed.
I like to feed momma a mix of pupy food with the adult food 2 weeks prior to having pups and while they are nursing from her.

Anrhony

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Just feed her normal like everyone said.I thought I was doing good one time had a female on all the feed she wanted and vitamins.Ended up having to get the vet to do a c-section because they were so big she couldn't have them.Once she has them let her have all the feed she wants.One thing that I do now that works real well is after she has them I add about a half scoop of all-breed powered milk to the bitches feed.She will produce lots of good strong milk and they don't seem to get pulled down bad once the pups get some size on them.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
5,984 Posts
I run mine up to 40 days into pregnancy couple time a week to keep in shape--couple hours at a time.
at 45 days mix in purina puppy food so she will be on it by day 63 --NORMAL portions
when pups are born feed purina puppy chow and put powdered milk on food and mix in.
start at 2 weeks and worm puppies with nemex
GOOD LUCK!!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Do not over feed her.....continue with regular quality dry feed....some exercise but don't over do it ....let up on exercise late in pregnancy....be sure she is in whelping area 10 days early.....
:up::up::up: in addition use Cod Liver oil as a source of Vitamin D not milk!If you over feed pups could be to big to deliver.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I feed puppy food at same portion until day 55 then switch back to regular food to help with calcium storage. After whelping feed puppy chow until weaned. Last litter had 9, raised 8 from mid January to mid march.

WellsBoys

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Purina makes a powdered milk used for bottle feeding calves. I put a cup of that mixed in warm water in a bitches food every evening. I feed regular until 2 weeks before due then I free feed puppy chow.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Have fed a premium feed good for all life stages with no further supplementation. Pups and mother have done well. Saves having to transition pups to adult food and vs.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Learned a lot of lessons on this over the years. Most important to know is the size of litters your bitch and her ancestors typically throw. My experience is the smaller and short couple bitches throw standard 5-7 pup litters and most of the notes above apply with no special feed needed.

larger longer bodied bitches i've focused on the past 20 years typically have been throwing 9 +- and sometimes 11 +-. I have to be sure they are on super premium feed and the last month is free feeding or some of the pups turn out underdeveloped. All bitches of any size get big when only a few weeks to go with little room for food so you can free feed and they will nibble regularly

Just had a litter of 10 free feeding pp 30/20 the last 1/2 of pregnancy and all did great with no runts etc. Just depends on the bitches genetics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts