Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
That's a European Hare. Photo looks to make hare's size slightly enhanced. Most likely photo was taken in middle Europe (Austria, Germany, Poland area) judging from the clothing of the hunters. Usually they weight 8-12 lbs. They existed in parts of this country (New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania) and Canada (Ontario) for about 100 years until dying out just recently. This is the animal the beagles in England traditionally hunted for centuries, so all beagles in this country are descendants of hounds who were bred to hunt this animal. A good pack could wear one of these hare down and catch it in an hour or two.

·
Registered
681 Posts
filhunter do y’all use buckshot on them or #2 shot ?
Was known to have some big swamp rabbits around the US not quite as big as the first picture they say was from Russia.Have seen some friends with some swamp rabbit you get hold by the ears and there feet was dragging the ground years ago.They said they had to use two and four shot some climbed up in trees and use 22s.Would not be in my interest with 22 bullets flying around.How do you seen one and two Honey in with a friend years ago look like a baby deer from a distance.They was using 2 and 4 shot and also buckshot.Found rabbit droppings the size of quarters...

·
Registered
767 Posts
That's a European Hare. Photo looks to make hare's size slightly enhanced. Most likely photo was taken in middle Europe (Austria, Germany, Poland area) judging from the clothing of the hunters. Usually they weight 8-12 lbs. They existed in parts of this country (New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania) and Canada (Ontario) for about 100 years until dying out just recently. This is the animal the beagles in England traditionally hunted for centuries, so all beagles in this country are descendants of hounds who were bred to hunt this animal. A good pack could wear one of these hare down and catch it in an hour or two.
As a young boy there where some around Central nj. I would say last time I we got one was in the 1980s in Cranbury /South Brunswick NJ. . There was a huge apple orchard that eventually closed up or was bought out but never developed. We would hunt there most Saturdays and you would know when dogs where on a "jack rabbit " , thats what we where told they where by the ole timers. I had no idea what to call them other then the big rabbits. They where double the size if not 3 times the size of a cotton tail. I had a picture of me holding a "jack rabbit " and a cotton tail when I was 11 years old, I wish I still had that picture, lol. Those things where huge, and fun to hunt!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Thanks Gene. Very interesting.

Rick Roth was President of the National Beagle Club. He lived at Frenchtown, NJ and had a pack of beagles called the Bare Cove Beagles. He used to run the hare with his pack. During the late 80s and early 90s he started a project to try breeding them in captivity to offset the decline in the wild population. They would not breed in captivity and his project eventually failed. The hare faded away - Probably development, coyotes, and changing farming practices ended their 100 years in America. An amazing animal.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Thanks Gene. Very interesting.

Rick Roth was President of the National Beagle Club. He lived at Frenchtown, NJ and had a pack of beagles called the Bare Cove Beagles. He used to run the hare with his pack. During the late 80s and early 90s he started a project to try breeding them in captivity to offset the decline in the wild population. They would not breed in captivity and his project eventually failed. The hare faded away - Probably development, coyotes, and changing farming practices ended their 100 years in America. An amazing animal.
Ty sir for sharing also.
I did some research on some old post from different websites, I saw something similar to what you said. Also saw article where a beagle club or 2 bought them into the club for running and a fence broke and the rest is history as they say.
It was definitely a great time in my era to hunt them. I wish they could be reintroduced.

Are you from NJ area?

·
Registered
623 Posts
No, I am in Ohio.

Ike Carrel, from Hounds and Hunting made attempts in the 1920s and 30s to obtain more hare for restocking in other parts of the U.S. but ran into opposition from the state game commissions. By then, New York, Massachusetts and Connecticut had decided the big hare were too destructive to crops, especially orchards. NY actually placed a bounty on them because their numbers had grown so much along the Hudson River area. Ike wanted to see them introduced elsewhere for hunting with beagles. I doubt many people would like hunting them today, since their circles might cover a couple of miles or more. We have more people, more cars on roads, and less open country these days. In the right place, they could still be a lot of fun, though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts