Rabbit Dogs banner

Nothing like It

2K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Foxxy 
Nice pictures and it looks like a good place for ducks . I have a small wetland on my property . I can hear ducks down there when I am deer hunting . I might have to try them out , but if they as hard to hit as a dove , they wont lose a feather .
If you learn to decoy em it’s about as hard as hitting a hot air ballon landing. To me the fun was the anticipation getting to that point. Shots tend to be easy.
Killed 147 ducks one year. I was doing harvest survey for the state. Only way I know but majority were under 20 yards, wings set, feet down about to hit the water. Believe me you’d hit em. Most guys can’t take the anticipation and pass shoot. That’s harder

I wouldn’t go if anyone pass shot. I’m funny like that. Won’t shoot a rabbit on the jump, a pheasant isn’t pointed, turkey not worked in, deer over bait or driven by pushers though hounds I’d be ok w, etc etc to me sport hunting should be sporting. I have 2 guys I usually go with and someone calls the shot. Like I said most often they’re almost touching the water. Watching em circle and circle before they land is the best. Just winging a shot at em is such a lower odds proposition. Your numbers are way higher if you deke em

10AC a curiosity question, what chokes are you all using? Of the birds I’ve spoken of amongst myself and my buddies imo cyl to skeet chokes were used. Steel chokes up one size so a mod would be actually throwing a full pattern if you’re using steel. If the birds were even relatively close an imp cyl would surely do it if you’re not taking long shots too. If you choke tight it’s easier to miss. Pattern the gun see what you get w open chokes. Lots of fellows choke too tight and never check their gun. You’d be surprised at results both on patterning board and in dead birds.
Seems everyone chokes way too tight for all game. I believe it’s old school mentality. “What my dad taught me”, his shells were different. He shot lead, maybe cheap lead that deformed quicker opening patterns. Different wads, buffering, etc. Things are dif today. Never believe what anyone tells you. My advice included. Check your gun see for yourself than you can know what’s best for you under any circumstance

I’m not big on these Turkish guns
As Arky said Arkansas isn’t the same as it used to be. Public land is crazy. I quit except for a couple times a year going on private ground with a friend of mine that invites me. Sold just about all my gear too. If you want to hunt timber ducks you will be better off contacting some guides/outfitters around Stuttgart and paying 5-600 day. Duck Leases are ridiculous. Ours was 1,000 ea and they jumped to 5,000 and that was 10 years ago. They are going for over 10,000 now. If I were wanting to go I would save my money and do a 2 day guided lodge hunt. Enjoy
Theres 2 ways to do most duck hunt imo. Idk about your area but most areas I’ve been to there’s the rich lease than the grunt spots. They can be good but it’s lots of work. I didn’t mind the work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.