Newbie needs Help

Discussion in 'Dogs For Sale' started by Ron Miller, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Ron Miller

Ron Miller New Member

My son is 14 and is very, very interested in getting a beagle for rabbit hunting. I know less than nothing about hunting with hounds. We have been hunting with flushing dogs (English Springer) and retrievers (Chesapeake Bay). We are an avid hunting family, but no with hounds. Anyone able to help point us in the right direction?

2. huntinrob10

huntinrob10 Member

Where are you located?

3. Ron Miller

Ron Miller New Member

Southern Colorado. We ranch for a living and seem to travel to Kansas and Nebraska to Pheasant hunt. Some local waterfowl. However, we have rabbits (Cottontails and Jackrabbits) all over our property. My son wants to get a beagle to hunt out of "back yard". He thinks he can get more hunting in that way. Can argue with his logic. I just don't know the first thing about beagle or were to even start.

4. I would buy him an older dog that is finished. Something he can kill a few rabbits in front of and see how he likes raising and keeping a hound. If he's into it, maybe next year buy a younger dog.

Bowguy and golfnut47145 like this.
  5. huntinrob10

huntinrob10 Member

I love that logic lol. I have a family friend in Georgia that I have gotten mine from. He is an honest guy with almost 50 beagles. If you are willing to travel to pick him or her up I can get you the information.

6. Ron Miller

Ron Miller New Member

I think we would be willing to travel to get the right dog. Can he hunt with a single dog or doses he need a "pack"? What do I look for in a "finished" dog and what is the price range? I appreciate everyone's help on this forum, as this is entirely new to me.

Also, is there any book recommendations or other resources to help us get familiar with hunting, training and handling a beagle?

7. Bowguy

Bowguy Member

The finished dog advice is pretty good.
    I've killed more rabbits than I remember as a kid w one hound. If he can do a it all its all you need.
    For a truly finished dog I'd look for hunt first. Can't or won't find a rabbit it's useless.
    Next it needs to be able to run a line. Shouldn't keep losing it. That's just plain frustrating for newer folks.
    The fine edge lots of trial guys walk is not where you need to be right now but watch it run and make sure it suits you.
    Oh and it should be clean. No trash runners.

8. huntinrob10

huntinrob10 Member

I agree watch it run if it actively searches for a rabbit that is called "hunt". "Trash" is anything other than a rabbit.

9. Sorry you live so far away I have a litter of pups and would love to give a child one that is learning about dogs they are directly off my fcgd

10. Greenhaw

Greenhaw Active Member

Tn
    It will take a special dog to run just one. They are put there you will have to look hard but you can get him one. Good luck. Try some hunters on the site that are close to you.

11. Mr Miller,... Go ahead and get 2 for starters!
    No way,... NO WAY,... You can have just one!

It just aint right!

Good luck,... and keep us posted on your progress!

Materjuice

12. Oh,... all the resources you need are here in this forum!

Bunch of sharp cookies hang out here! Unfortunately ... I'm not one of em! Throw your questions up on this board,... Rev Arnold, Will Messer, huguejm, John Taylor and many more,... have forgotten more about beagle hounds than most of us will ever know!

You gonna love it here!

Materjuice

13. Ron Miller

Ron Miller New Member

I appreciate all your input. If anyone knows of a finished female (or two) that can run hunt and do it all please let me know. My son is anxious to get stated.

mason likes this.
  14. Unless I misunderstand what you are saying, I beg to differ. Any hound worth its salt should be able to hunt and run solo without any help. If it needs a pack, it isn't a quality hound.

I just sold a fantastic young male, only reason I sold him is because he went over 15".
    15" is the limit for field trialing, no height limit for a hunting hound though.
    If I'd seen this sooner, I would have made the young man a proud owner of a hound that can do it by himself or in a pack. Nothing I enjoy more than getting kids started in the sport.

I agree with getting him a running, broke hound, make sure you do your due diligence and watch several run to see the type of hound he likes. There are slow walking hounds to wind splitters and everything in between. There are plenty of videos to see the different styles and speeds. Don't be fooled by the critics of quicker hounds, there are hard hunting quick hounds that are accurate and can keep a rabbit going with few checks. It will take some miles on the truck to do so, but will be well worth it.

Good luck and welcome to the beautiful sound of the hounds!

15. Bowguy

Bowguy Member

Agree w this 100%

16. huntinrob10

huntinrob10 Member

A dog should be able to circle a rabbit on his own. Yes some dogs do certain things better but if a dog can't do it all he isn't worth much.

17. Greenhaw

Greenhaw Active Member

Tn
    I would find him a good broke dog so he will have a good first rabbit hunting trip. It might be a good idea to get a started young dog to go with the older dog. It does"t take a lot more time or money to take care of two. Bringing a young dog along may let your son see how it is to help train a hound. If the young dog comes along good,I will bet you he will, like my friend Mr Dunn had said he will be hooked. Good luck and glad to have you in the sport we love.

18. 7mos old started..good little dog