Rabbit Dogs banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Gotcha. Shotguns, whats your preferred gauge?
Just depends on what you like my my dad has always used A 12 gauge he uses the same gun for everything we hunt but I’ll use different things, A lot of the time i take my grandpas single shot 12 or my single shot 20 they are just so light and it’s hard to beat packing around A light gun. But if I’m taking my pump it’s still A 20 gauge. It dosnt take a lot to kill A rabbit When i was 8-14 or so i used A single shot .410

·
Registered
135 Posts
I also agree that the hound must come when called. It drives me nuts when one is called and it doesn’t respond.
My little red is just shy of two. It was fun working with her. I put her on as many tracks as I could. She was 7 months old before she started to click, I really then got her on as many tracks as possible. At ten months she could solo. She is now two and I could just hunt her and be happy.
I also think that the dog needs to know how to be on a lead.
For my shotgun, I like an over/under 28ga. My “rabbit gun” gets beat up so I didn’t break the bank. I also, don’t shoot many because I like the music, but the hounds do need rewards.
What started as one is now two with one being pregnant and I am keeping one.
Welcome to the sight. There is some great advice, but remember not everything will work for you so take some stuff with a grain of salt. Enjoy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I also agree that the hound must come when called. It drives me nuts when one is called and it doesn’t respond.
My little red is just shy of two. It was fun working with her. I put her on as many tracks as I could. She was 7 months old before she started to click, I really then got her on as many tracks as possible. At ten months she could solo. She is now two and I could just hunt her and be happy.
I also think that the dog needs to know how to be on a lead.
For my shotgun, I like an over/under 28ga. My “rabbit gun” gets beat up so I didn’t break the bank. I also, don’t shoot many because I like the music, but the hounds do need rewards.
What started as one is now two with one being pregnant and I am keeping one.
Welcome to the sight. There is some great advice, but remember not everything will work for you so take some stuff with a grain of salt. Enjoy
Love hearing about your experience. Lots to learn from. I look forward to getting as much enjoyment out of rabbit hunting as you have.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I like a light 20ga . The shells are usually not hard to find ( except for this past year ) and I get enough patten to hit a running rabbit , sometimes . My main want , is it to be light . I like semi automatics also .

·
Registered
94 Posts
In my experience the beagle I have in the house will chew on everything thing it can find so the command no is a must and only let it chew on what you want it to. Or get your wallet out to replace things. I purchased a garmin 550 pro plus mainly cause I am not tech savvy its simple to use cheaper than the garmins that show where the dog ran. I mainly bought it for the shock feature that is right there if I need it I dont have to push a bunch of buttons to get it to shock I can do it the second the dog needs correction. There are cheaper systems out there but garmin / tri tronics is the best. Plus It will track / train up to 3 dogs. Good luck however or whatever you decide. Hopefully your dog is a good one.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts