Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have recently purchased my first beagle pup and want to get into the sport of rabbit hunting with him. I live in north Georgia (Athens) and was wondering where the best place to get started is? Could also use tips on training and hunting. Thanks.
Congratulations and welcome to the sport and the forum.I have no doubt that some of the fine folks here will be glad to help you get started in the right direction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome, lots of good folks here would be glad to help! Fyi, that first pup will somehow multiply to 2 to 4 to 6 etc lol not sure how it happens just does
Thank you! Can't wait to get started!
Congratulations and welcome to the sport and the forum.I have no doubt that some of the fine folks here will be glad to help you get started in the right direction.
Thanks! I have no doubt about that!

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Welcome Morgan, I would make sure you go thru the sites and a lot of questions will be answered for you. Its a little time consuming but worth it. You will learn a lot here. If you have questions make sure you ask. Very knowledgeable men and women on this forum. Good luck.
What did you name your pup?
Male or female?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome Morgan, I would make sure you go thru the sites and a lot of questions will be answered for you. Its a little time consuming but worth it. You will learn a lot here. If you have questions make sure you ask. Very knowledgeable men and women on this forum. Good luck.
What did you name your pup?
Male or female?
Will do! His name is Hank and he is about 7 weeks old.

·
Registered
198 Posts
He is an indoor pup.
I’m no expert by any means and I’m still pretty young but I’ll give you the advice that i think I’ve learned. The first thing i would do is try and teach the dog A few handling commands like sit and what, and i would start trying to get him used to running around the yard using his nose and stuff you don’t want him to be so attached to you that in the woods he’s afraid to leave ur feet. As long as you get him out early and often he will understand what’s going on. As far as teaching them to hunt that’s totally up to them, all you can really do is take him and let him do his thing in the woods the more time out the more he will learn and sooner or later he will either hit A track and the instincts will take over or he will jump one and it will take over but once that switch clicks you’ll have yourself alittle hunter. It may take time all dogs learn at their own pace so don’t get discouraged. I have alittle female who is A house dog and she got on her own rabbit at about 6 months, i bought A pup from the same guy A year later for my buddy and his dog didn’t start until it was almost 2. Idk if that will help much or not but welcome to rabbit dogs and I’ll tell ya it’s an addiction forsure but it’s not one that will kill ya I’d like to add that this is just my opinion some people may think something completely different

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m no expert by any means and I’m still pretty young but I’ll give you the advice that i think I’ve learned. The first thing i would do is try and teach the dog A few handling commands like sit and what, and i would start trying to get him used to running around the yard using his nose and stuff you don’t want him to be so attached to you that in the woods he’s afraid to leave ur feet. As long as you get him out early and often he will understand what’s going on. As far as teaching them to hunt that’s totally up to them, all you can really do is take him and let him do his thing in the woods the more time out the more he will learn and sooner or later he will either hit A track and the instincts will take over or he will jump one and it will take over but once that switch clicks you’ll have yourself alittle hunter. It may take time all dogs learn at their own pace so don’t get discouraged. I have alittle female who is A house dog and she got on her own rabbit at about 6 months, i bought A pup from the same guy A year later for my buddy and his dog didn’t start until it was almost 2. Idk if that will help much or not but welcome to rabbit dogs and I’ll tell ya it’s an addiction forsure but it’s not one that will kill ya
That is super helpful. Thanks for that great advice. Where have you found to be the best place to get radio collars / what is the best kind?

·
Registered
198 Posts
That is super helpful. Thanks for that great advice. Where have you found to be the best place to get radio collars / what is the best kind?
To be honest with you i don’t run any kind on my female and only on my male because when i bought him the old man gave me A shock collar with him but i don’t hardly use it in him, as long as you break him of running trash he should be ok, now if you just want one for the safety of having one i can’t really help you with that I’m sure someone else is much more knowledgeable in that field

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I get most of my beagle stuff at okies dog supply . IMO the Garmin Alpha 200 is the best training collar out there . But I don’t run collars on mine , they haven’t run trash ( deer , fox or other ) and they will come back . I mostly run on my house property . If you are going to be running him where there a lot of deer I would run a shock collar on him , so you can break him fast . I think the most important thing you can do now , is teach him to come you when you call him . You might have to tie a light rope to his collar and pull him . I don’t think that it would hurt to give him a treat when he comes . I can call my dogs when they are out hunting and they will come and go right in their kennels when I say kennel up . I then go in and praise them and give them a piece of chicken gizzard . I have only had my nephews dog here 9 days and she has learned , but she is not a puppy and she is collar trained .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I get most of my beagle stuff at okies dog supply . IMO the Garmin Alpha 200 is the best training collar out there . But I don’t run collars on mine , they haven’t run trash ( deer , fox or other ) and they will come back . I mostly run on my house property . If you are going to be running him where there a lot of deer I would run a shock collar on him , so you can break him fast . I think the most important thing you can do now , is teach him to come you when you call him . You might have to tie a light rope to his collar and pull him . I don’t think that it would hurt to give him a treat when he comes . I can call my dogs when they are out hunting and they will come and go right in their kennels when I say kennel up . I then go in and praise them and give them a piece of chicken gizzard . I have only had my nephews dog here 9 days and she has learned , but she is not a puppy and she is collar trained .
This may be a stupid question but, does the dog instinctively know to run the rabbit back towards you?

·
Registered
198 Posts
This may be a stupid question but, does the dog instinctively know to run the rabbit back towards you?
Cottontails will end up in the general area they took off from. “Circling” them most the time it’s hardly A circle but the dog is just running the scent the rabbit leaves behind and ur basically trying to decide which way that he’s going to come back from an ambush him. As for swamp rabbits i have no experience

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cottontails will end up in the general area they took off from. “Circling” them most the time it’s hardly A circle but the dog is just running the scent the rabbit leaves behind and ur basically trying to decide which way that he’s going to come back from an ambush him. As for swamp rabbits i have no experience
Gotcha. Shotguns, whats your preferred gauge?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts