Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know for sure if a beagle will still hunt and run rabbits if they are neutered or spayed ? I've heard some people say they will lay on the porch and get lazy and fat, but other people says it don't effect them. :headscratch:

·
Registered
908 Posts
Its pretty much obvious that AKC is going to allow Spayed and Neutered hounds to compete in their Licensed trials as it was on the BAC agenda this time. Makes no sense to me if trialing is setup to better the breed then of what use would these hounds present to the beagling public????? Is it more of a revenue creating move on their part?

·
Registered
19 Posts
years ago i had a coondawg neutered. he did get a little heavy in the off season but when cooler weather came around and i started running him regular he would shape up in no time. it did not affect his drive in any way, he ran and treed the same after the procedure.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I had a gyp catch a hernia at 7 years old. Being I never bred her and it was too late I had the hernia fixed and her spayed. I see no changes in her.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have seen several bird dogs that were fixed and it didn't seem to matter. I had a male setter that we cut because he wanted to fight everything. It made him a better dog because he became more interested in hunting than fighting. Just depends on the dog

·
Registered
560 Posts
i had to have my old dog spayed a little over a year ago!...i have noticed this...they will get fat on you a lot quicker...so you just have to run them and keep them in shape!!!...i dont think you would want to leave them in the kennel for the summer...probably would get real fat real quick!!...then it would be harder to get them back in shape!!!...i have seen no change in her running!!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Had a gyp get hit by a car and broke her pelvic bone. Vet said spay her so I did. Never affected hunting or running. In later years I did notice she gained weight a little easier than her littermate, but come to think of it, she always did?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
We band the bull calves and cut the pigs so they will fill-out quicker and have better quality meat, so stands to reason you'll have to watch the weight on you hounds, but the inbred hunting desire shouldn't be effected unless it is weighed on by extra pounds.:headscratch:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts