Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it might be interesting to get some opinions or ideas from the folks here about the best way to deal with this issue.
My nearest neighbor is about 1/4 mile from me I guess. They are in their late thirties maybe. Good neighbors in most respects. Have known the family since way before these neighbors were born.
The problem.
They have a Fat Lab that comes over to my house every day lately. Man and woman both work. She is a sweet ole dog but I don't need her over here. Can't run her off. Won't go. We take her home about every day. They got so they were pretty dilatory about coming to get her. It makes dealing with my dogs harder and makes turning out the house dog for bathroom trips a problem. Both females.
I hate to say anything to them because I like to get along and would like to be a good neighbor.
I am getting pretty tired of the extra commotion every day though. Something has got to change.
If I go and ask nicely for them to see to their dog and then they don't I may get in a bad mood and I would like to not go there.

OK fellows what would you do.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've been in the same boat for a while now... so far I've done nothing and nothing has changed.
They never complain when my Beagles run on their property. We deer hunt close to their critter barn and they trust us to take safe responsible shots.
I guess that means I'll be shoveling Labrador poop out of the yard for the next decade. It's hard to find perfect neighbors... they would probably agree with that

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Labs are social animals and dedicated to people. If she is a old dog, she’s bored, lonely and wants human contact. I would talk to your neighbors explaining the situation and ask them what and how can we alleviate her walking the road to get to your house. Don’t want her to get hit by a vehicle, if she’s no bother let her make friends with your house dog to run and play or just to hang with you and your dog. Sometimes it not worth the hassle. If you react angrily, then they win, in the scheme of things the percentage her being a problem is what? 5%, 25%, 50%, or 2%, it might not be worth it in the long run.
Old dogs like her will roam, you are the one she likes. Over time she will eventually go home.
TOUGH situation E T, stay calm, don‘t let your emotions take over, she’s just a dog. Good luck, Just saying. JMHO

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
I had this dog show up twice at my house . It is not a neighboor’s dog . People turn out their deer hounds at night right before deer season and then go home and pick them up after work . The first time she showed up I was running and she came in on the run and messed up the run . This was on a Sunday morning . I called the number on the tag and a young man answered and showed up 2 hours later to get her . He was polite and apologetic . The second time she showed up was on a weekday . I called again and he said that he was at work and couldn’t get her until he got off work . She was a sweet hound , but she wouldn’t leave and had my dogs barking all day . I told him him when he showed up that up can’t just turn your hounds out at night and then go home and go to sleep and go to work in the morning and pick them up after you get off work . I told him that you need to stay with your hounds . I told him that I don’t want to be a ass , but I have told you twice now , so it is on you next time , not me . I am going to call someone else next time .
Plant Cloud Sky Tree Wood

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I wish I had a friend!

Friends that don't want anything but to be with you and near you cause they love being where you are. My wife used to be like that.

Real friends... are very rare and extremely hard to come by......human or other wise. Any love is good love. Real love never fails!

If the old dog gets in your way make her comfortable in a nice big dog box, or pen or on a long chain or leash out of your way. Contain her comfortably while you do what you need to do with your other dogs then let her out (off) and enjoy her......she will love you for it.

Where there is a will..... there is a way. You may have to go out of your way for real love?

There is many lessons in all this for YOU!....Watch this old dog and think about what you see and how you act.....God sent this old dog to your house to teach YOU some things bro so Pray and ask GOD to help you to see and understand and apply it to you..... We are kind a like that old dog where God is concerned.

You can learn a lot from this dog bro if you look deep into yourself. She is a gift to you...not a curse. Humble yourself....Get your glasses on right. Watch close and learn!

Many times dogs act more like people are supposed to act then people do...especially in today's world.

(Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men who were upon the face of the earth.) Numbers 12:3 Lots of living instructions and lessons in the whole chapter.

Listen to FOXXY!

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
I got my first German Shepard when I was a kid because he kept getting out of his kennel and hanging out with me . The owner asked me if I wanted him and I said yes . He told me to go get your mama and we took him . As far as I know he never went back to his old home and we lived in a neighborhood . He was a good dog and very protective of me . I had a paper route and he would follow me on my bicycle every morning while I delivered papers . One evening when I was collecting , a woman with her collie was raking leaves . I went up to her to collect and her collie snapped at me and bit my collection book , ripping it . My dog saw that and jumped on him , wearing him out . I had to go up the road and call him before he would stop . He did several things like that when he thought that I was threatened . He would have made a great police dog .

·
Registered
136 Posts
Labs are social animals and dedicated to people. If she is a old dog, she’s bored, lonely and wants human contact. I would talk to your neighbors explaining the situation and ask them what and how can we alleviate her walking the road to get to your house. Don’t want her to get hit by a vehicle, if she’s no bother let her make friends with your house dog to run and play or just to hang with you and your dog. Sometimes it not worth the hassle. If you react angrily, then they win, in the scheme of things the percentage her being a problem is what? 5%, 25%, 50%, or 2%, it might not be worth it in the long run.
Old dogs like her will roam, you are the one she likes. Over time she will eventually go home.
TOUGH situation E T, stay calm, don‘t let your emotions take over, she’s just a dog. Good luck, Just saying. JMHO
There is a lot of wisdom in your reply, Foxxy!

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I ain't got the heart to do anything unkind to the dog.
And I want to be kind to the neighbors. I don't like it much that they don't look after their animals and feel they are taking advantage of the situation.
But all in all I have to agree with you guys.
I guess I will remain calm and let this play out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts