Need Your Wisdom

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by Greenhaw, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Greenhaw

Greenhaw Well-Known Member

Tn
    A running question. Two days in a row I have had this happen. Yesterday I ran two seasoned dogs and two well started pups. They got one up pretty quick. They blew out on it and ran it good till they hit the swamp. There is not much water in it now. They just shut down. Nothing. Now I know of no hole or anything to get under. I call them back and got another one up. They ran it good till they hit the swamp in front of the house. Same thing. This afternoon I ran two seasoned dogs and two young dogs. All different dogs. The very same thing happened at the very same places. I have ran many many times out here and they just don't drop rabbits till the last two days. Could it be something in the ground from drying out where water has stood? I don't know!

2. Running La. biares

Running La. biares Well-Known Member

He’s pulling some kind of trick
    Get someone to hold your dogs on a leash and then you go to the spot then call them and tell them to let the dogs go hopefully you’ll be able to see what he’s doing good luck
    Keepmmmmmm running

3. Greenhaw

Tn
    I have watched Mr Dunn's dog Lilly swim and open all the way to dry ground and never miss a lick. They don't act like they have ran a track to an end. They keep hunting for it. Two times two days in a row. Nothing was pulling them or over running. It was just gone. LA,I will do that Wednesday. The only thing I have though of is the trees that are usually in water may have hollows in them.

OklahomaDave, That, Seark and 3 others like this.
  4. TJRANGER

TJRANGER Super Moderator Staff Member

Arkansas
    Wade if it’s a young swamper and you don’t have water they will go straight to tree and hole up. I’ve had that happen more than once with young swampers

Circle4p and That like this.
  5. Greenhaw

Tn
    That may be the problem. I will try to find out Wednesday.

6. Seark

Seark Well-Known Member

Arkansas
    I have one they loose at my west pond I’ve looked and waded water it’s like he disappeared I hope you figure it out.

7. duke1

duke1 Well-Known Member

Probably in a tree. See which tree he goes in and cover the hole!

8. That

That Well-Known Member

I would also agree he is in a hollow tree. 2 years ago we had to cut a dog out cause he got stuck trying to get to one that run in a hollow.

9. Bowguy 1

Bowguy 1 Well-Known Member

Here’s an interesting story. I hope JDW doesn’t mind my retelling and I hope I don’t butcher the retelling but from what I recall John was running this rabbit. He’d get into some stuff and climb a branch. The dog would go nuts and the rabbit sat above him looking down. One day the dog saw him and it blew the rabbit’s idea. Maybe something like that is happening

10. Greenhaw

Tn
  11. TJRANGER

TJRANGER Super Moderator Staff Member

Arkansas
    Doubt that Wade

tonytpoole, Circle4p and That like this.
  12. Greenhaw

Tn
    OK the mystery is solved. Where I had the Beaver Dam taken out it dropped the water level to where the trees that had been in water for 10years are now dry. Under the bottom they are hollow. I watched the rabbit go under the tree and disappear. They must learn fast. I may not shoot my dogs today.

Seark, tonytpoole, Wilbur and 7 others like this.
  13. Grizzly creek beagles

Grizzly creek beagles Well-Known Member

Figured that’s where they disappeared too. Sometimes they’re smart little devils and quickly take advantage of terrain changes but it’s funny how they can make good hounds look so sad. Lol
    But I’m right there with you wanting answers when that happens, just can’t buy the vanishing rabbit story.

tonytpoole, duke1, Circle4p and 4 others like this.
  14. Greenhaw

Tn
    OK some well placed rocks sure did make running a lot better this afternoon. Got one up and he made a little circle and headed straight for that tree. Can't get under it! They ran him for about a hour and twenty minutes. He's a good running rabbit now. My dogs ant as bad as I thought. I had to catch them off it.

That, Hunt like a dog, Curnel and 9 others like this.
  15. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

michigan
    Greenhaw- You are a true rabbit hunter, noticing a problem and figuring it out by finding what that rabbit was doing and stopped it from happening again.
    When I hunt in some of the swamps with snow I always check to see if there are any holes or rock piles, I will kick snow into the holes and on the rock pile if I can, or stuff them with sticks. Jump the rabbit and tries to get into the hole or rock pile, NOT! he has to figure something else out. That rabbit will run a while. Warm days snow melts and have to do it again filling holes.

That likes this.