Rabbit Dogs banner

Need Some Help

3K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  trobin 
#1 ·
Boys I think there is something wrong with my little Skeeter pup. He is getting very skinny and today he barely had enough energy to walk. He is almost 9 weeks old now. He had his first shot at 6 weeks old and has been wormed at least 4 times already. His sister Maddie by the way is doing very good. She is as fat as a pig. I gave them a 7in1 shot 2 days ago. He has been losing a little weight every day for the past 3 or 4 days. I've been feeding them puppy chow with about 1/3 can of olroy and a little water to make a gravy since I brought them home about 3 weeks ago. Maddie is eating it pretty good but skeeter won't hardly touch it. I gave him some can food by itself today but he wouldn't eat it either. So I put down a little bit of the adult dog food and he ate it pretty good for a couple of minutes. Then I gave him 2 pieces of bologna torn into small pieces and he ate it up. He threw up a little bit of the bologna but I think it was because he ate it too fast. Do you think he just may not like the food? I will try some different food tomorrow. Any suggestions as to what kind of food to get or what else could be wrong? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks,Bobby

#6 ·
Is he drinking plenty of water ?
This is what I would do before I went to the vet.
Give him gatorade. I would give him the first dose under his skin to get him jump started.
Keep gatoraide infront of him. Make sure he is drinking plenty. If not go under the skin again.

Do what you have to do to get him to eat. You may try bacon greese over the food you already have. Hotdogs cut up small into a bowl of rice cooked with a touch of pork greese works for me.

If he will eat blongna feed it to him in small but frequent meals.
If this does not improve in a day or two I would go to the vet. He is continues down hill I would go tonight.

The gatoraide under the skin should make a big improvement. I suspect he is suffering from dehydration. Dehydration is common in pups after they catch a bug.

This is just my advice. The treatment has worked for me several times in the past when a pup goes down hill. You can not go wrong going to the vet.

#9 ·
Hey guys I really appreciate all yalls input. He seemed to be alot better this morning after getting him to eat some last night. I will try some of yalls tricks and keep a close eye on him this evening and in the morning. If he seems to get worse I will take him to the vet asap.

Rosco, How much gatorade do you put under the skin? And do they favor any certain flavor to drink? I hope that question didn't sound too dumb.

I went to the feed store that I buy my feed from and asked for a different kind of puppy food but he told me to feed them the adult dog food because it wasn't much different than the puppy food. What do yall think?

#10 ·
i think he needs to go to the vet before its too late. 9 weeks time frame is most vulernable to parvo or cocciddia. feeding table food only adds tothe problem. stomch is already bad hence the vomiting. feeding table food only upsets stmach more meaning more throwing up. more throwing up means more dehydration. additionally parvo, cocciddia, and worms affect digestive system causing failure for nutrients and vitamins to be absorbed from the food they do eat and keep down. trying back yard solutions on a life threatening conditon is like shooting in the dark and only create time for unrepairable damage.

#13 ·
Ramsey,
I shoot 3 ml's under the skin every 2 hours if they want drink. The object is to get the dog hydrated as quickly as possible. I had to learn these tips because we do not have a resonable vet here in mobile. The bill gets outragious quick, they always want to keep them overnight.The vet will give them medication to settle there stomach and put an iv in to hydrate My wife gets a prescription medication (reglan) to settle there stomach from a vet in Miss. I buy lime gatorade. My boy will drink what we dont use. Torbin is most likly correct it is probably coccida or parvo. Torbin always seems to give good advice when it comes to health and he is right again a vet is your best option . If a lose my next puppy doing this treatment it will be my first. Just remember that is a desision I made. You have to make your own. My intentions are not to discourage you from going to a vet I am just offering advice if you choose not to. At any rate if you choose not to you will have to check the pup every 2or 3 hours to keep him hydrated. Dehydration is what generally kills dogs with parvo according to the vet in Miss. that gives me advice. Again I am not a vet I am just trying to help.

#14 ·
Honestly I'm very lucky to have a great vet. He is straight forward and honest. He went to school with my moms brothers and knows we are all animal people. He gives me a very good rate and allows me to run up a tab.

Rosco
Have u ever tried pedialite instead of Gatorade.

#17 ·
i would give him about three cc's of white corn syrup and make sure he's had a corona shot. the hydration the others have talked about is key. sometimes pup's eat stuff they shouldn't and it hurts there belly to the point they won't eat. the corn syrup usually loosens up most anything and lets them pass it. worth a try

#18 ·
Well, I fed skeeter a hot dog and a piece of bologna yesterday evening and he ate it like he was starving to death. I went to wally world last night and bought some of the alpo can food with the gravy in it. I got up this morning planning to take him to the vet and he acted like he was feeling very good so I put a half of a can of food in with some dry food and stirred it up. I put it in the pen with them and to my surprise he ate so much I thought he was going to bust.I thought he was going to attack Maddie when she tried to get some. So I went on to work and when I got home I fed them some more and he gulped it up again. I think he just didn't like the food I was giving them. I am still going to take them and get them both checked out but now I think i'll make an appointment instead of an emergency visit. Just wanted to let yall know he is doing 100 % better and thank yall for all your help. By the way Rosco I was going to do the gatorade thing but after watchin him very closely I noticed that he was drinking plenty of water. Thanks again,Bobby

#23 ·
Get you some Albon from a vet and start treating all your pups. I'm like Pulpwood, bet it was coccidia. 2.5cc first day 1.25cc for 4 more days. Or you can also buy Sulmet at the feed store and put it in their water. 2Tbls per gal for 5 days, skip a week and do it again. Sulmet is a cheap good prevention, but Albon works better after they come down with it!

#24 ·
I was reading a little on coccidia on the web today and after seeing what the symtoms are I think you all are right. I think that is whats wrong with him. He is still eating and drinking good right now so I called and made an appointment with the vet Saturday morning. I'll let yall know what the diagnosis is. Thanks again for yalls help. Bobby

#25 ·
coccidia kills more pups and is missed diagnosed by several vets. It will kill young and older pups if not treated. I treat all pups for it. If you field trial you have been exposed so it's always lurking. Stress is normally what brings it out. Albon is a 7 day treatment and ponazril is a 2 day treatment. Older dogs can be water treated with corrid. I hope all is well with the pup.

#26 ·
Well you guys were right. I just got back from the vet with skeeter. He does have coccidia. He gave me albon and told me to treat both skeeter and maddie for 10 days. Then 2 weeks after that bring him back in and get him checked again or just stop by and get some more albon and treat them again. He also said that I need to try and move my dogs out of the pens and bleech the fire out of the pens for a few days if possible. He added that moving my pens would be the only way that they would be totally free of coccidia. He said that I might as well be ready to treat any future litters that I might have around my pens. Well i've got alot of work to do so i'll check back in later. Thanks again for yalls input and advice. Bobby

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.