Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, a few weeks ago when we were all on the "hound movie" thead..my family watched "where the red fern grows" for the first time together. my 8 year old son immediately had the idea that he could do the same and work to save for his own hound. well, he is a hard worker and when he gets something in his head, he sticks to it...i told him i have those pups that are "all of ours", but as we all know, its just not the same when your a boy, you gotta have your own dog. but, not just any dog, he wants one "that'll run rabbits and not just one bred for looks", he's heard me talking :D.....At first my wife just looked at us like we were both crazy, but i think she is about to give in:wink:...wish us luck, i'll keep ya'll posted.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Preacher,
As I have told you all of you ,my boy bought his dogs and kennels, mostly with garden money.
Watching him with those dogs is truely special. I will wish the same for you and your son.

Remember in any thing they do, Dogs , Fishing, Baseball ect. Guide them and be patient. They will learn some leasons from you and learn others the hard way.

Again ,be patient.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what kind of dog is he wanting preacher apup or astarted dog
well, i think he wants one still young, but not far off from being ready...mine are 4 months old and he's pretty adament about having one that'll be ready when they are, if not sooner...but honestly, i doubt he is going to be too picky:) as long as it'll run rabbits.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
There's nothing like sharing quality time with your children and I know you will make many happy memories from your experiences. If it were me I would find him a pretty good rabbit dog and let your pups learn to run with it. He will probably keep more interested when he sees his dog running a rabbit. Training puppies can get disheartening and youngsters can loose interest. I've been through these things with my own son with Duck dogs and Calfroping horses. A trained dog will keep him going with you and having fun. I'm not talking about an expensive hound either just a good one. " But Be Warned " when girls start coming into the picture he may loose all interest until his brain starts to function again and that can take years in some cases. lol

JMO from experience,

Roger

·
Super Moderator
3,516 Posts
There's nothing like sharing quality time with your children and I know you will make many happy memories from your experiences. If it were me I would find him a pretty good rabbit dog and let your pups learn to run with it. He will probably keep more interested when he sees his dog running a rabbit. Training puppies can get disheartening and youngsters can loose interest. I've been through these things with my own son with Duck dogs and Calfroping horses. A trained dog will keep him going with you and having fun. I'm not talking about an expensive hound either just a good one. " But Be Warned " when girls start coming into the picture he may loose all interest until his brain starts to function again and that can take years in some cases. lol

JMO from experience,

Roger
Great advise Roger, I started bying my boy better hounds than I have. We trial a little so I wanted him to have a chance to place at trials. I also put him and I as co-owners on all the hounds we have. Its more important to me to spend time with him than it is to run hound dogs.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts

JMO from experience,

Roger
Make sure he gets a good one, because when he starts chasing these girls, it'll be your dog.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the advice. if any of you know of a good hound...grade or registered, started or not, for a fair price, i'd appreciate if you could send me a PM.
thanks again,
preacher

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well boys, my boy got his first hound! I called the guy me and my dad bought ours from and he said he had just the dog. We picked him up tonight. 6 month old male,surprise, surprise....my son named him..."Dan":D

funny story...my dogbox wasnt loaded up in my truck and we were in a hurry, so the family piled in my little jeep. we got out there, looked it over...made the purchase and loaded up. immediately my wife caught that "fresh" hound scent and gagged alittle (remember, we are cramped in a jeep,LOL) then, as if that werent enough, the pup got sick and yacked all over the backseat where the kids were. he had just ate and boy was it nasty...so there we are rolling down the highway, my wife's head hanging out the window, vomiting..., kids are screaming and my daughter is gagging...i'm choking back laughter and tears...the poor dog is wondering what in the world the big deal is....it was what my dad would call..."an unforgettable moment son"

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Preacher, that story was so funny I could hardly finish reading it for laughing. It brought tears to my eyes. You may need to take a clothespin and a benadryl along with you for your wife's next road trip with the puppies. lol

Bless her heart,

Roger

1 - 20 of 21 Posts