Mow or not to mow ?

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by JDW, Jun 7, 2020.

1. JDW

JDW Well-Known Member

NJ
    I was curious of opinions about mowing paths and trails in running enclosures . I’m of the mindset to let the grass grow the first couple / few months of the breeding season. Then cut / alternate paths to enable some grasses to remain higher for the young bunnies to hide in while they feed. Seems like it would make sense , rather than walk a golf course type atmosphere around the running pen.

I recently cut trails at home , and some 30 acres of hay. The small rabbits don’t run , but hide and hunker down , only to become victims of the hay bine / mower.
    Next question for any of you hay guys , does anyone employ any techinque to try and flush rabbits ahead of the mower ? Several yrs ago , I bolted a long 2x4 parallel off a hanger , to kind of rake the grass ahead of the mower. It def saved some fawns and rabbits , but took an awful long time to mow a field. Jumping off the tractor with large boat net , snagging bunnies and faws. Some u simply got a spot on , and reached in to grab. Other times would work my way across , forcing all adult rabbits to move laterally. When that last row of hay was laid down , several bunnies would bust out , run across the open into the woods. Seems like no way around sacrificing some in the name of putting up the hay.

2. rick Watkins

rick Watkins Well-Known Member

I have fields not enclosed space.
    I cut paths and next cut will be in uncut strips

3. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

michigan
    Our pens we zig-zag our paths so Hawks or Owls do not have a straight shot at the rabbits.

4. Jared Levi

Jared Levi Well-Known Member

I let it all grow if I move it’s just to plant pines. Thicker the better . I hate the idea of mowing paths lol

[email protected] and jerwane like this.
  5. mitch huguet

mitch huguet Well-Known Member

Thicker the better. Being out in it running dogs everyday makes plenty enough trials.

6. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

michigan
    We zig zag mow trails, we have a lot of older members and they want trails mowed. It's easier for them to walk, if I had it my way I wouldn't mow the trails.

7. mitch huguet

Taking care of the old guys!

Good job!

8. Michael Gerace

Michael Gerace Well-Known Member

You better have your Kevlar on if you think you're walking in Mitch's pen in the cover.

9. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

michigan
    Michael- You would need a drone to see the dogs and how they are running.

Circle4p likes this.
  10. Michael Gerace

Michael Gerace Well-Known Member

You right about that. And you know you have a tough dog when he comes out

Circle4p and [email protected] like this.
  11. mitch huguet

Hey Fox,

I promise you I put them on the outside and run them where I can put an eyeball on them too but I want to make sure I got a beagle on the end of my string before I pump too much feed and time in one.

12. Donnie Tew

Donnie Tew Well-Known Member

Sure wish you could find a youngin to post up a video of your hounds doing work. Some of us are dying to see what we should be replacing our junk with.

13. mitch huguet

Nothing to see Mr. Donnie,

Bunch of Scary, little pokey, no name, back yard, do nothing, unheard of wannabee rabbit mutts.

Who's proud owner has a big mouth and lots of big fancy talk that his tiny little slow black dogs can never back up that everybody knows would fail miserably where the big boys up north run the World Wide, Big Name, Proven, Fast Lane, Real Deal, Competition Rabbit Dogs!!!!!

Nothing to see here Mr. Donnie. Don't sell them excellent high end gun dogs you got.

Ken's Kennels likes this.
  14. LtELmer

LtELmer Well-Known Member

OKIE DOKIE Mitch is this the baffle with BS part lol

Circle4p and TJRANGER like this.
  15. Grizzly creek beagles

Grizzly creek beagles Well-Known Member

He will be trying to tell us they’re peanut rollers next LT

Circle4p and TJRANGER like this.
  16. LtELmer

LtELmer Well-Known Member

I bet they can balance a peanut on their nose and whistle Dixie at the same time !

Red dog 007, Circle4p and TJRANGER like this.
  17. Grizzly creek beagles

Grizzly creek beagles Well-Known Member

Oh yeah you know they can flat roll out on those bunnies. Backyard bred or not as he says, the man has been running and tweaking that line of blackcreek/ skullfork hounds for many, many years and has truly got something special going on down there in his little ol backyard. Got to admire him for his accomplishment’s with that line, they may not suit everyone’s taste but no doubt he has some sure enough rabbit dawgs!!!

18. I usually mow around the perimeter and spray my fence lines. This year I got lazy and haven't sprayed my fence lines. I've notice I jump rabbits out along the cover in the fence lines now about as often as I do anywhere else. I mow my perimeter to keep the weeds from overtaking my clover.