Rabbit Dogs banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Laws to protect predators has caused a shortage in rabbits. Farmers opening up their land for row cropping is another issue. Mr. Burnett, a bunch of us old Tullahoma boys used to hunt Lynchburg a lot years ago. Those hills were covered in sage grass and rabbits were plentiful. We walked them up. Now the hills are kept bush hogged to graze cattle and the old days are gone.
Heard Lewis Long say the biggest problem regarding the rabbit population today was the four wheel drive tractor. When I was a kid, farmers didn’t have them, but now every farm has at least two or three in different sizes. Everybody wants a “clean” farm.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Right now in mornings and evenings will have anywhere from 4 to 12 either in my yard or on sides of driveway, I have a 12 acre cutover on side of driveway and on other side of that there is another 100 acres of cuttover, right now theres plenty, and yes once fall gets here I see less and less,my cuttover is also starting to thin so I am sure will be less an less to run, this is one of my running areas that I dnt hunt. Really thinking about cutting part of it to get fresh growth and maybe another 2 years cut the rest I would like to keep as many briar patches as I can

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Right now in mornings and evenings will have anywhere from 4 to 12 either in my yard or on sides of driveway, I have a 12 acre cutover on side of driveway and on other side of that there is another 100 acres of cuttover, right now theres plenty, and yes once fall gets here I see less and less,my cuttover is also starting to thin so I am sure will be less an less to run, this is one of my running areas that I dnt hunt. Really thinking about cutting part of it to get fresh growth and maybe another 2 years cut the rest I would like to keep as many briar patches as I can
Really good idea to keep cutting the saplings to maintain your ground cover. (Apply a few drops of Tordon to the cuts to prevent regrowth). If the trees are allowed to shade out cover beneath them, your rabbit population will drop tremendously. Keeping good rabbit cover is a lot of work, but you can see the results hopping around.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts