Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spoke with a friend who runs large pack and mid-west trials. He told me that the big new thing is Payback Field Trials.
First place so much money and it decreases as the placings are. Run like UKC trials, I believe the money trials started with the racoon hounds, copying that format.
What's your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I just recently attended the National Beagle Club’s Annual Specialty Show. They have a couple of days of “Sweepstakes” classes where money is paid back to the winners, then those classes are followed by 2 or 3 days of regular classes where points are awarded toward a show championship. They always have a different judge for each class, but most exhibitors put hounds in both Sweepstakes and regular classes. Seems like field people could arrange something like that, but the trial may go on for a week.

·
Administrator
6,585 Posts
I don't see the point in this. It is possible to participate in such tests once for the sake of interest, but it is pointless to consider this as a source of income.
QUICK EXPLINATION~ rich men own dogs---pay handlers and expenses---handler keeps all money and prizes-----rich man gets tax break and handler gets the prizes which can be quiet large----new pick-up truck---40---to 75 thousand dollars---PKC and CKC are the only way to compete in coondogs

·
Administrator
6,585 Posts
I have hunted the pkc hound and hunter format rabbit and racoon I have also hunted in ukc rabbit and racoon way more cheating for a $15.00 trophy then there was for $60 split purse. Just what I have seen
there have been more nite champions made on the dashboard of a truck than on the timber~~same with squirrel hunting---have to see the squirrel to score----some cant see the squirrel if it was big as a bear-----PKC has a question format where if you dont agree you question it and pay 25.00 time out is called and go back to the clubhouse----get 5 committe members and hear the details and make a decision---the judges are paid good money to judge and bad calls can cost them their job if their decision is reversed too many times---if you win you get your money back

·
Super Moderator
2,204 Posts
PKC is for professionals. The PCA/PKC coonhunts didn't suite my personality so I didn't attend them. There was cheating going on in UKC and ACHA also but I never felt like I had to fight my way out of the woods. The love of money is the root of all evil. I've seen it happen in beagle field trials too where someone wants to become famous or make money selling puppies and getting stud fees after winning a big trial or finishing a dog. Still goes back to the love of money and prestige.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
One of the reasons I like trialing females more than males. Seems like the guys trying to finish the next big money-making stud are always ready to start swinging. Usually folks trialing females are just trying to work on their bloodline.

Like Will said, the best way to make $100,000 beagling is to start with $200,000.
. I've seen it happen in beagle field trials too where someone wants to become famous or make money selling puppies and getting stud fees after winning a big trial or finishing a dog. Still goes back to the love of money and prestige.
Hey different strokes...I used to dabble at it a little mostly just judge.

But.... today I have changed my mind and I chose to do it a little differently. I got back to basics what I loved the most about having beagles...rabbit dogs.

Above posts....is exactly why I do it a little differently today which for me is much more rewarding. I win every time out. I win joy excitement and peace of mind. I feel happy, satisfied and content in my element in my own little small world. I'm a small timer thank God.

My club (group) my hunting family ain't worried about no money we all are close knit, tight, family with one thing in mind. If you got money good if you don' have money good between us we got plenty of money we don't want, need or take each others money. We want each other and better dogs and we want to have fun.... together with them.

A few real close tight knit friends meet up an eat a big long loud laughing breakfast at our favorite spot. These are all life long older professional rabbit hunters and dog men many used to trial and judge and they take their rabbit dogs and rabbit hunting and hunting SPOTS very serious everyone of them.

After breakfast we load up an get to a new spot and put down some dogs we bred together. The focus being make a better rabbit dog and spend the day in the great wide open under the big blue sky telling jokes, laughing burning up a box of shells while listening to the constant steady roar all the while evaluating each hounds work or lack of it. Around noon we collect up all the rabbits and dogs and stop for a big lunch spread in the field as each one brought something really good home made and we put it all together and dig in. Man the stories the joking the laughing until we cry is loud and hilarious . We also talk about the details of every race and every dog on the ground and what we saw and didn't see where and when good and bad. We dissect them.

Then we build and put another pack on the ground and get the 2nd half rolling and head toward where we got the rabbits jammed up because of the way we orchestrated the first half of the hunt. The hunt gets faster and faster, better and better, louder and louder more and more intense with more and more shooting as the day roars on...the sky is clear the air is crisp the hounds are screaming...locked in and locked down tight in a trance like state with blood in their eyes....rolling. I don't hear or see anything like this at no trial nowhere.... ever. This is primitive this is primal. The blood is coursing through your and the hounds veins. The hair is up on the back of your neck all day. You can see hear and feel the life struggle of life.

One of the bets parts is No one trying to sell each other nothing. We don't want each others money. No one is trying to beat no one or be the man it is all about the hunt and the dogs. We are working together to make a better dog to make more fun and better hunts period. No one is ansy...no one is nervous....No one is mad No ugly bitter or back stabbing talk. It's just men and hounds all together all on the same page with a common goal a clean heart and good intent in the zone doing the do. There is no cheating, conniving, BS or BS talk. We all looking and evaluating all day long in hard conditions you can never see or test for at a field trial. The dogs have to be real here today all day. Lots of close quarter shooting and tons of off game. They have to be rabbit dogs not deer dogs. They have to beat the rabbit not the other way around. They have to produce.....no where to hide everyone is looking. No excuses. This is the big time....The Big Dance for us. The best of these is what we call a Field...Champion. This is where we test like we fly. This is what we breed dogs for. Our own dogs not other peoples dogs. Our dogs that do what we need them to do for us how we like to see it done where we like to do it....It's not fancy, no dog or person gets famous it's clean, natural it's basic it's very plain it's simple.

At the end of the day...Every dog and every person is smiling, happy, content and satisfied knowing we all did good today and we are.....Going to do it all again in the morning if God wakes us up!

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUICK EXPLINATION~ rich men own dogs---pay handlers and expenses---handler keeps all money and prizes-----rich man gets tax break and handler gets the prizes which can be quiet large----new pick-up truck---40---to 75 thousand dollars---PKC and CKC are the only way to compete in coondogs
I wonder if they entered dogs at Kenton, Ohio? One 7 dog pack came in on the drag to the tree. First 5 dogs were muzzled grey hounds, a nice blue tick that locked in and barked treed, the last was a Golden Retreiver. No idea what was going on, heard its a money hunt, first on line, first to open , first at tree, first to bark treed. It was amazing, never did figure out. Maybe Burnett, or Mr. Will can fill me in.
Watchd a guy walking the site with a raccoon hound, saw him 1/2 hour later and he had 2 beagles on leashes. Dogs were changing hands as fast as the money or dickering a price would go. It was quite an experience. Just saying. JMHO (n) (y) :eek: :D

·
Registered
473 Posts

But.... today I have changed my mind and I chose to do it a little differently. I got back to basics what I loved the most about having beagles...rabbit dogs.

Above posts....is exactly why I do it a little differently today which for me is much more rewarding. I win every time out. I win joy excitement and peace of mind. I feel happy, satisfied and content in my element in my own little small world. I'm a small timer thank God.

My club (group) my hunting family ain't worried about no money we all are close knit, tight, family with one thing in mind. If you got money good if you don' have money good between us we got plenty of money we don't want, need or take each others money. We want each other and better dogs and we want to have fun.... together with them.

A few real close tight knit friends meet up an eat a big long loud laughing breakfast at our favorite spot. These are all life long older professional rabbit hunters and dog men many used to trial and judge and they take their rabbit dogs and rabbit hunting and hunting SPOTS very serious everyone of them.

After breakfast we load up an get to a new spot and put down some dogs we bred together. The focus being make a better rabbit dog and spend the day in the great wide open under the big blue sky telling jokes, laughing burning up a box of shells while listening to the constant steady roar all the while evaluating each hounds work or lack of it. Around noon we collect up all the rabbits and dogs and stop for a big lunch spread in the field as each one brought something really good home made and we put it all together and dig in. Man the stories the joking the laughing until we cry is loud and hilarious . We also talk about the details of every race and every dog on the ground and what we saw and didn't see where and when good and bad. We dissect them.

Then we build and put another pack on the ground and get the 2nd half rolling and head toward where we got the rabbits jammed up because of the way we orchestrated the first half of the hunt. The hunt gets faster and faster, better and better, louder and louder more and more intense with more and more shooting as the day roars on...the sky is clear the air is crisp the hounds are screaming...locked in and locked down tight in a trance like state with blood in their eyes....rolling. I don't hear or see anything like this at no trial nowhere.... ever. This is primitive this is primal. The blood is coursing through your and the hounds veins. The hair is up on the back of your neck all day. You can see hear and feel the life struggle of life.

One of the bets parts is No one trying to sell each other nothing. We don't want each others money. No one is trying to beat no one or be the man it is all about the hunt and the dogs. We are working together to make a better dog to make more fun and better hunts period. No one is ansy...no one is nervous....No one is mad No ugly bitter or back stabbing talk. It's just men and hounds all together all on the same page with a common goal a clean heart and good intent in the zone doing the do. There is no cheating, conniving, BS or BS talk. We all looking and evaluating all day long in hard conditions you can never see or test for at a field trial. The dogs have to be real here today all day. Lots of close quarter shooting and tons of off game. They have to be rabbit dogs not deer dogs. They have to beat the rabbit not the other way around. They have to produce.....no where to hide everyone is looking. No excuses. This is the big time....The Big Dance for us. The best of these is what we call a Field...Champion. This is where we test like we fly. This is what we breed dogs for. Our own dogs not other peoples dogs. Our dogs that do what we need them to do for us how we like to see it done where we like to do it....It's not fancy, no dog or person gets famous it's clean, natural it's basic it's very plain it's simple.

At the end of the day...Every dog and every person is smiling, happy, content and satisfied knowing we all did good today and we are.....Going to do it all again in the morning if God wakes us up!
That brings back some very good memories....great post

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Mitch- I’m glad you have some friends, you always said you have no friends. Good post. JMHO

·
Administrator
6,585 Posts
FOXXY~~kenton is---was---and always has been a dog jockies haven----in real competition the dogs are drawn out in 4 dog cast----taken to woods and cast into the wild----scored accordingly--100 points first strike---same for first tree----second is 75 points -----3rd is 50 points and fourth is 25 points----if a dog opens and then quits his score is minus and 300 minus points is scratched-----the winners of the 4 dog cast are then redrawn into cast and eliminated down to first ---second---third---fourth place-----it is never over until the clock runs out-----I have had a trial WON !!!! 4 minutes left on the clock----then BAM!!!!!! disqualified for treeing off game

1 - 20 of 21 Posts