Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The swamp rabbit is much bigger than the cotton tail but is a member of the cottontail species from what I understand. They are referred to as swamp donkeys, marsh rabbits, cane cutters, swampers, and a few others. They are anywhere from twice the size of a good cottontail up to 7-9 lbs. largest one I ever killed was around 8 lbs. normally they are 2-4lb. They live in swampy areas and swim really well. Hole up in trees when push extremely hard. If you locate a cane break along creek or river bottoms you will find Swampers. I have asked G&F if they are related to hare and they say no!!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Glad you could get out and enjoy yourselves. I am always curious about the swampers and it is definitely on my bucket list. Is there a noticeable difference in the running with the swampers. I have always heard they get out and run straighter than a cottontail, and they also like the water. I know my dogs would run them but I don't know how well they would run them. The water would definitely be a change.

·
Registered
527 Posts
May be a stupid question- so your swamper is just a larger cottontail or is it equivalent to our Snow shoe hare?
Born with eyes closed like a cottontail? Hare are born eyes open and are mobile.
From some of the research I’ve done the swamper is just a bigger cottontail. Biggest difference I could find is the cottontail has 3-4 small baby’s per litter and they come out like a naked mole rat.
swampers have one baby fully fured per litter. That’s why they are harder to keep the population up from what I’ve read

·
Super Moderator
7,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A good swamper dog can run a swamper thru water, swim ditch’s and creeks, rivers, sloughs, and can also run a cottontail. A cottontail dog can’t necessarily run a swamper in the environment they live. I took a gentleman that had real good FC beagles that were hooked to cottontails but when we got to the swamps they couldn’t handle the water. His dogs tore mine up on cottontails but when we got to the swamps they couldn’t hang. He told me that day if I would raise a litter out of mine he would pay all the cost and give me 500 per pup for the whole litter. I did but kept 1 pup.

·
Super Moderator
7,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TRK I realized I didn’t actually answer your question about how a swamp rabbit runs. Swampers tend to run a straighter line, less zig zag, lots farther( most times out of hearing) before circling back. If pressured real hard they will hole up in bottoms of trees. Most swamp areas have several trees that are hollowed out on bottoms. Great races and fewer breaks ( if dogs can handle water) and beautiful music. I can even tell by sound when dogs are running swampers by their volume and faster chops/bawls. Swampers seem to leave more scent than cottontails.

·
Registered
970 Posts
TJ, my dogs definitely look better on a rabbit that gets up and covers ground. I don't know how they would handle the water. Most of mine have some hare hound breeding mixed in so they have a little more speed and a little less control than what some guys on here run. We run cottontail most of the time but I make the 2-1/2 hour trip into the mountains to run hare several times a year. I was going to try to make a trip to Louisiana this winter but I put it on hold due to the Corona Virus.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
One of the funniest and memorable runs my dogs had was last year and it involved water . My nephew and I were walking them through the cover by my house and there was a place with a lot of standing water , not enough to make them swim , but about 10 to 12 inches deep . We had all 6 dogs close to us and we all saw the rabbit get up from the other side of the water at the same time . It was funny watching the dogs jump in . They didn’t just run in they all hopped in , one after another . Only one hesitated a little , but not much . It was the funniest thing to see .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.